Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: Fender Tonemaster Princeton

Post by GrantB »

For you peeps only...sloppy...but, you get the driven sound. No pedals etc. Some Reverb (3).

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 pm For you peeps only...sloppy...but, you get the driven sound. No pedals etc. Some Reverb (3).

Sounds alright to me!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

What I always wanted, a $2000 HX-Preset-in-a-Box :lol:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:13 pm What I always wanted, a $2000 HX-Preset-in-a-Box :lol:
This. If you are going to fill the box with electronics, why not at least make it versatile?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:42 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:13 pm What I always wanted, a $2000 HX-Preset-in-a-Box :lol:
This. If you are going to fill the box with electronics, why not at least make it versatile?
Or at least affordable.

I’ve tried a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, and thought it sounded great, but also thought it was about $1000 too expensive.

Anyone who regularly gigs with a Twin would surely find the idea of a lightweight one appealing though.

I would be terrified of something going wrong with one too. The idea of needing to order replacement boards in order to service something like this (or a Blackstar St James for that matter) makes the serviceability of a heavier valve amp quite appealing. To be fair though, that could be because I have an amazing amp tech literally just up the road from me.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

If Fender made the Tonemasters more versatile and less expensive, they would not sell many. This is the amp for the man who wants a real Fender amp, without the weight and the valves. He wants it to do what a Fender valve amp does, no more or less; and he wants to pay good money for it.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Litterick wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:36 pm If Fender made the Tonemasters more versatile and less expensive, they would not sell many. This is the amp for the man who wants a real Fender amp, without the weight and the valves. He wants it to do what a Fender valve amp does, no more or less; and he wants to pay good money for it.
And that man does not exist on this forum
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm
Litterick wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:36 pm If Fender made the Tonemasters more versatile and less expensive, they would not sell many. This is the amp for the man who wants a real Fender amp, without the weight and the valves. He wants it to do what a Fender valve amp does, no more or less; and he wants to pay good money for it.
Let's not be too hasty there

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:23 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm
Let's not be too hasty there
Sorry, he's afraid to speak up. Or she.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

I own a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, which I bought to replace a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Used side-by-side there was minimal difference between the two in terms of tone, and any difference could be more than explained by different speakers.

*But* the Tone Master has a few things that gave it the edge, to my mind it does "do more":

1) It was only $1500 when I bought it new, and used ones are still a fair bit cheaper than used valve equivalents.
2) Power scaling to achieve convincing overdrive or edge of breakup at any volume.
3) A line out.
4) it has a well hidden little micro USB slot at the back of the chassis. This lets you add firmware patches from a library to effectively mimic common mods. I've got one to "clip the bright cap" loaded, but there are others to change other parameters. It's not as straightforward was an app, but there is flexibility there.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 am
I own a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, which I bought to replace a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Used side-by-side there was minimal difference between the two in terms of tone, and any difference could be more than explained by different speakers.

*But* the Tone Master has a few things that gave it the edge, to my mind it does "do more":

1) It was only $1500 when I bought it new, and used ones are still a fair bit cheaper than used valve equivalents.
2) Power scaling to achieve convincing overdrive or edge of breakup at any volume.
3) A line out.
4) it has a well hidden little micro USB slot at the back of the chassis. This lets you add firmware patches from a library to effectively mimic common mods. I've got one to "clip the bright cap" loaded, but there are others to change other parameters. It's not as straightforward was an app, but there is flexibility there.
Yeah, that’s really cool.

I get it with a Deluxe reverb or bigger, but I think the benefits are much smaller on a Princeton. If they were in the $1500-$2000 range, I’d understand it more. But that being said, the valve equivalents are now stupid money, so what would I know :shrug:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

I would 100% be interested in a Vibrolux or Twin. Deluxe Reverb has never been a great fit for me.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 am .
May I ask what attracted you to a ToneMaster over other modelling options?

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 am
Honestly, I'm too lazy to learn new things or fiddle with settings. Once I find a good tone for an amp I tend to keep the settings untouched. Having an "old-fashioned combo amp" means I spend more time playing and less fiddling with an app.

I also own a Blues Cube for the same reasons.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:08 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 am
Honestly, I'm too lazy to learn new things or fiddle with settings. Once I find a good tone for an amp I tend to keep the settings untouched. Having an "old-fashioned combo amp" means I spend more time playing and less fiddling with an app.

I also own a Blues Cube for the same reasons.
Makes sense!