Speaker options?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Speaker options?

Post by Slowy »

3 members of dCompress work in the professional audio/PA industry. Any gear we need for any situation can be pulled straight out of the warehouse. Very cool place to be.

In this comfortable position, the band has been working on playing quieter. This has the benefit of giving the music much more space, while the PA can deliver any volume required.

As a guitarist, the challenge becomes 'volume = tone'. I'm finding my Celestion Blue is projecting too much. As a result, I'm often holding back while playing.

I presume this is a combination of the Blue's upper mid projection and extreme efficiency. I love the speaker but is there something that has similar characteristics but dialled back a bit? My G12H30 doesn't work here; too spiky. The Fane is better but still too loud. Almost perfect is my Harmony combo with an old Jensen. But it doesn't quite have enough headroom for all situations.

My 12 watt Jansen is becoming the favoured amp. I'm playing opposite Keyboards now rather than two other guitars and I'm intrigued by how much this changes what my amps need to do.

Any thoughts on speakers I should try?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Speaker options?

Post by robthemac »

Dibs on the G12H30.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I'd consider a smaller speaker. A 10 inch Jensen Alnico perhaps, they are less loud than 12's.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I am wondering if a Greenback might do it for you?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

I know the tone sniffers on this forum will balk, but have you tried a 12" blue marvel at all? They are considerably less efficient and the 8ohm version I put in a Jansen 6/20 sounded pretty good. They are also cost effective :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

What about Ants' one? Maverick or something. It's on the more polite end of the tonal spectrum, and it you can select the efficiency.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Projection is also a facet of cabinet design. I sold my Mesa 212 because you couldn't hear it off axis, and on axis it would take your head off.

But, an EQ pedal will be cheaper and allow you to sculpt more than rolling speakers in and out trying to find something that works. Caline make a 10 band EQ for around $50.

If you're intent on that path though, the old T75s are difficult to beat.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:14 am I know the tone sniffers on this forum will balk, but have you tried a 12" blue marvel at all? They are considerably less efficient and the 8ohm version I put in a Jansen 6/20 sounded pretty good. They are also cost effective :wink:
...and I have a blue marvel here, for sale.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:41 am Projection is also a facet of cabinet design. I sold my Mesa 212 because you couldn't hear it off axis, and on axis it would take your head off.

But, an EQ pedal will be cheaper and allow you to sculpt more than rolling speakers in and out trying to find something that works. Caline make a 10 band EQ for around $50.

I already use a GE-7. Essential piece of kit.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Pull a perspex panel from your warehouse and put it in front of the speaker.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:00 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:41 am Projection is also a facet of cabinet design. I sold my Mesa 212 because you couldn't hear it off axis, and on axis it would take your head off.

I already use a GE-7. Essential piece of kit.
How are you using the eq? What amp is paired with the Blue and what type of cab is the Blue in?

Maybe swap out the Jensen in your Harmony for the Blue’s efficiency. The Harmony amp tone maybe in a race with Jensen’s capability to handle the amp tone at volume before the speaker flubs out. Blue’s efficiency may better handle all the Harmony has to give before it needs to be too loud and speaker coloured?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Attenuator?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

One of the adjustable eminence speakers?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Jensen MOD? Cheap British-ish sound with a few low sensitivity options.

I have a 12-35 but haven't really put it through paces.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Load box and IR loader direct to the PA :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.