Amp hiss / fizz issue

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Amp hiss / fizz issue

Post by jeremyb »

Got a weird issue I've had before with my AC-10 thats resurfaced now I'm trying to run it with the ampero, its really fizzy like digital artifacts or something rather than an earth induced buzz.

I've checked I have continuity between the earth pin of the power cable and the sleeve of the input jack... the Laney is fine with the ampero and also has same continuity... I've tried different cables etc but still to no avail, any ideas? some kind of impedance issue? obviously the noise gets quieter as I turn the gain down but I only run it at 9pm anyway...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: Amp hiss / fizz issue

Post by jhyang549 »

Is your BWC shielded? I do remember getting that kind of noise on my cheap Artist ST62 Strat. There was no shielding in any of the cavities. Now it's really quiet.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:02 pm Is your BWC shielded? I do remember getting that kind of noise on my cheap Artist ST62 Strat. There was no shielding in any of the cavities. Now it's really quiet.
BWC? My guitar is dead silent plugged directly into the amp or thru the other pedals I'm using :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:12 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:02 pm Is your BWC shielded? I do remember getting that kind of noise on my cheap Artist ST62 Strat. There was no shielding in any of the cavities. Now it's really quiet.
BWC? My guitar is dead silent plugged directly into the amp or thru the other pedals I'm using :(
Big White... Contraption

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Is your guitar cable crossing over with a cable from your computer (e.g. USB cable) or anything like that?

Can you run your ampero with a battery (i.e. noisy power supply)?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:30 pm Is your guitar cable crossing over with a cable from your computer (e.g. USB cable) or anything like that?

I'm running wireless but tried a cable too, the weird thing is if I swap amps (keeping same setup, cables etc) the noise goes away, I might try the original ampero power supply instead of using the one on my board and see if that helps :-)

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:13 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:30 pm Is your guitar cable crossing over with a cable from your computer (e.g. USB cable) or anything like that?

I'm running wireless but tried a cable too, the weird thing is if I swap amps (keeping same setup, cables etc) the noise goes away, I might try the original ampero power supply instead of using the one on my board and see if that helps :-)
It's sounding more and more like your Vox AC10 is the culprit here. I'm sure the grounding is fine but maybe it's less equipped to deal with EM and RF noise?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:17 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:13 pm

It's sounding more and more like your Vox AC10 is the culprit here. I'm sure the grounding is fine but maybe it's less equipped to deal with EM and RF noise?
Its weird, its absolutely fine without the ampero in the chain, and I'm sure I've had this issue before but can't remember what pedal triggered it :-(

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Have you got a noise gate? Would that help to determine if the noise is coming from the signal chain or the amp? Or am I talking shit? Because I honestly don't know.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Just the fact that it's not a problem for your Laney makes me suspicious. Is there a built in noise gate in your Laney that is turned on that it's hiding this noise?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

No nose gate, the Laney is essentially a fender champ :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Ok, so original power supply makes no difference, bizarre.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Have you got your Powerline devices plugged in again?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 pm Have you got your Powerline devices plugged in again?
:lol: no powerline in this house!

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Are the tubes in the ac10 okay? Have you checked whether if any of them are microphonic?