Eminence Maverick - first impressions

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Eminence Maverick - first impressions

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Got a chance to do initial test of the maverick 75w speaker with built in attenuator system (can dial in 9db attenuation)

Popped it in an open back spacious 1x12 cab and tested with the tremolux and with Ryan 6v6 amp

Comparison to Jensen blackbird in similar sized (but admittedly closed back ) cab

The maverick sounds decent. To my ears it is much more mid orward than my other speakers and definitely the Jensen. The attenuator works really well. Doesn't shave off highs to any noticable degree. Does it sound s good as the hotplate? No, but then the hotplate has adjustments for bass and bright etc and can go to much greater depths of attenuation.

That being said, there is a lot less faff with the maverick. Just a big fuck off dial on the back.

To me , and it's yet to be broken in, this speaker has potential. Tho it is a bit more mid forward than I'd usually want for surf Im hoping it might sit well in the deluxe reverb that mikes making. It definitely rings true to spaghetti western tones, celestion/vox vibes but with a fairly beefy (tho still stiff till broken in) low end. The top doesn't sparkle like the Jensen but it's not bad.

I think for $260 shipped new it's a good piece of kit and I'll definitely be keeping it round.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Eminence Maverick - first impressions

Post by robthemac »

If you want to test it with a DR, you know where to find one.

And your Hotplate.

And your Gretsch.

And your Bandmaster cab.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Re: Eminence Maverick - first impressions

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:25 am If you want to test it with a DR, you know where to find one.

And your Hotplate.

And your Gretsch.

And your Bandmaster cab.
Ah yes, in my auxiliary gear annex