Hiwatt vs Marshall

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Hiwatt vs Marshall

Post by wavesofffear »

Marshmallow wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:59 am Thanks for the info guys, a reactive and touch sensitive amp is what I'm after. I'm sourcing for parts to build a 100w hiwatt amp. Will let you guys know how this goes. Been hearing a lot of good things about these amps. Probably gonna build another marshall later.
Are you going to use Partridge transformers? I know some people salvage them from the Sound City amps.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:58 pm Plus I found it one of those really reactive, touch-sensitive amps, it would pick up every single mistake or fluff.
Well that's no good for me then!!
Wellington

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

vintage52 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:06 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:58 pm Plus I found it one of those really reactive, touch-sensitive amps, it would pick up every single mistake or fluff.
Well that's no good for me then!!
Yeah when I first played through it I was thinking "wow my playing is sloppy at the moment!", then I went back home and played through my own amp and I sounded way better. It would be an excellent tool to tidy up your technique.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

calling card wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:25 am If I was looking at commissioning a build I'd get it done with 4x 6V6 power section and smaller iron. It'd still be loud.

I think that might be on the Trinity amps catalog, I'd have to follow that up to know for sure.
Or just go for a 50w, just tried one in a shop and it's plenty loud. If the 50w ODS i had was enough to rock the whole shop at volume 3, it was enough for the hiwatt to do the same at volume 2. :lol:

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

My thoughts are you have to go for the 4x power tube way, for full experience. Everything in that config I've ever plugged into has what I describe as a majestic quality to it. It may be the harmonics and overtones of 5th, 7ths etc... that I'm hearing, like organ stops perhaps.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Marshmallow wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:27 am
calling card wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:25 am If I was looking at commissioning a build I'd get it done with 4x 6V6 power section and smaller iron. It'd still be loud.

I think that might be on the Trinity amps catalog, I'd have to follow that up to know for sure.
Or just go for a 50w, just tried one in a shop and it's plenty loud. If the 50w ODS i had was enough to rock the whole shop at volume 3, it was enough for the hiwatt to do the same at volume 2. :lol:
Now imagine a 100W Custom on 6 in a small pub...

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

Could add chat around the large OG Orange heads to the mix such as the ol Matamps and OR100 …..would love to compare the OG Orange MV heads vs Hiwatt

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

In honour of this thread, and in fear of volume, I bought a Hiwatt Custom 7 on Saturday: hand-made in England, hand-wired, three valves, ten-inch Fane, everything analogue. It was new-old stock, about sixteen years old. The man in Musicworks Albany told me, "Nobody round here knows what a Hiwatt is." I paid a third of retail.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Litterick wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:12 pm In honour of this thread, and in fear of volume, I bought a Hiwatt Custom 7 on Saturday: hand-made in England, hand-wired, three valves, ten-inch Fane, everything analogue. It was new-old stock, about sixteen years old. The man in Musicworks Albany told me, "Nobody round here knows what a Hiwatt is." I paid a third of retail.
Score!!!