Effects Loop - Series or Parallel

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Effects Loop - Series or Parallel

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Hi. Just wondering if there's an indication whether an amp's effects loop is series or parallel just in case the manual didn't mention about it. Cheers.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Effects Loop - Series or Parallel

Post by Delayman »

Pvt. Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:18 pm Hi. Just wondering if there's an indication whether an amp's effects loop is series or parallel just in case the manual didn't mention about it. Cheers.
I would always guess series unless the amp says something on it, or it has a level control on the loop that doesn't affect the through sound.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned my amp in the first place. It's a Bugera 1990 Infinium and it has a level control on the loop.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Image showing the FX Loop
Attachments
bugera_1990_01.JPG
bugera_1990_01.JPG (14.5 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I'd say it a Series effect loop. The Level control sets the output from the Send. Often this is just a push-button that cuts the signal by 10dB in order to run instrument-level effects or +4dB for line-level effects. Someone will correct me if I am wrong no doubt.
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I just had a squiz at the schematic - pretty sure it's series.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

MikeC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:35 pm I just had a squiz at the schematic - pretty sure it's series.
Awesome! Thanks.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:33 pm I'd say it a Series effect loop. The Level control sets the output from the Send. Often this is just a push-button that cuts the signal by 10dB in order to run instrument-level effects or +4dB for line-level effects. Someone will correct me if I am wrong no doubt.
Perfect, thanks!

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

It's just that I have this JHS Little Black Box Attenuator and specifically mentioned to use only on a series effects loop. Thanks to all!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Pvt. Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:55 pm It's just that I have this JHS Little Black Box Attenuator and specifically mentioned to use only on a series effects loop. Thanks to all!
Will that do something that the master volumes won’t do? I guess if it’s tricky to set the clean and lead channels relative to each other and you want a single knob to control overall volume.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Looking at the schematic, you could just put a patch cable in the Send and Return and use the Level control in the same way as the Little Black Box.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Delayman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:15 pm
Pvt. Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:55 pm It's just that I have this JHS Little Black Box Attenuator and specifically mentioned to use only on a series effects loop. Thanks to all!
Will that do something that the master volumes won’t do? I guess if it’s tricky to set the clean and lead channels relative to each other and you want a single knob to control overall volume.
The amp's pretty loud even if the master volume level's set to 1. I wanted to retain the amp's response and tone without lowering the volume so I thought having an attenuator would do the trick.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:31 pm Looking at the schematic, you could just put a patch cable in the Send and Return and use the Level control in the same way as the Little Black Box.
I have to try this neat trick. Thanks.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Pvt. Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:33 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:31 pm Looking at the schematic, you could just put a patch cable in the Send and Return and use the Level control in the same way as the Little Black Box.
I have to try this neat trick. Thanks.
It works well in the Hot Rod Deluxe too!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Pvt. Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:26 pm
Delayman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:15 pm
The amp's pretty loud even if the master volume level's set to 1. I wanted to retain the amp's response and tone without lowering the volume so I thought having an attenuator would do the trick.
the JHS black box isnt an attenuator, it's a volume control