Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Post by Mr Davison »

Having played many Marshalls over many years from vintage to the latest, I can now confirm their greatest year of production.

I currently own a '77 JMP 2204 and while sounding glorious, their best year is not 1977 even though for a while I thought it was (birth year amp, hard not to be biased).
Had the fortunate duty of being caretaker of a '73 1987 (pcb I think) for three loud months. Superb amp, however 1973 is not their best year either.
Put about four hours on a '71 1959 while house-sitting for a friend. Very responsive and toneful but once again, not their best year.
There has been numerous plug ins to various JCM900 models. I owned a 100w dual reverb briefly, the SL-X models at Valhalla in Wellington and a mates 50w master volume model. Probably others. I rule out the decade of 90's from being the best
My '07 (I think) Vintage Modern was surprisingly good, heaps of useable tones and I even liked the plate reverb. But no, 2007 was not their finest hour.
JCM2000's and JVM's were not for me, really versatile but no, so that rules out the last twenty years as being their best.
There has been others, which including the aforementioned amps have had fantastic, very useable tones among them.

This brings me to my conclusion. Marshall hit their absolute peak in..... 1984 😮 I say this because my '84 2203 and 1987 models are untouchable in the world of Marshall. True story, thirty years of research went into this.
IMG20220719192221.jpg
IMG20220719192221.jpg (4.4 MiB) Viewed 1884 times
So come at me!! How say you?
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Post by Molly »

Friedman Small Box 50 was Marshall's greatest amp.... ;-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Never played one but I know the 800 receives much love and respect from those in the know.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I really miss my JCM800, but not as much as my Bogner Ecstasy.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

A JCM800 is one of those bucket list amps, the sound of so many records I love. Its no surprise that Marshall did their best work in the 80s, it was the best decade for music.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

I like this post :thumbup:

I got a 1987 JCM800 2203 about 10 years ago, and while not the favoured vertical input era, its still awesome (well, was last time I powered it on). It seems to take any boost or drive in front also, so more versatile than the single channel would lead many to believe. I prefer it to my mid 70's JMP, which is more fussy with what goes in front to my tin ears. Would be nice with an effects loop, but I don't want to mod them too much.

Nowadays they are however mostly man cave features as I just use modellers or a Katana for the limited playing I do, but I'll probably never part with either unless I fall on hard times.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Marshall's line of amps these days is a joke imo. Unless you want to pay 3k for an 800 reissue, which still wont have the mojo of an older one.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Bg wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:48 am I really miss my JCM800, but not as much as my Bogner Ecstasy.
I would have to echo this statement

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

I noticed after having a couple of 800s and a late jmp ( 87 I think which was an early 800) they all sounded a little different to each other but all hard to get over 1 in volume.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

MrDINO wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:09 am I noticed after having a couple of 800s and a late jmp ( 87 I think which was an early 800) they all sounded a little different to each other but all hard to get over 1 in volume.
err yes... my JMP is non MV, so got a PPIMV installed as it was insane otherwise and only really useful as a clean platform. Even the JCM800 really needed an attenuator at band practice or everyone whined..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Molly wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:34 am Friedman Small Box 50 was Marshall's greatest amp.... ;-)
If you liked that, you should check out a brand called Splawn. Their Competition model is absolutely stunning....😜
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:44 am Never played one but I know the 800 receives much love and respect from those in the know.
May I ask why you haven't played one? Even if the high input is not your thing, my personal opinion is that the low input on them is criminally underated. If you get the chance, please don't be shy!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

chur wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:17 am
MrDINO wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:09 am I noticed after having a couple of 800s and a late jmp ( 87 I think which was an early 800) they all sounded a little different to each other but all hard to get over 1 in volume.
err yes... my JMP is non MV, so got a PPIMV installed as it was insane otherwise and only really useful as a clean platform. Even the JCM800 really needed an attenuator at band practice or everyone whined..
I solved the volume issue by buying a house in the middle of an olive grove in an isolated community. My new jam room is a tad over 100 square meters also which helps. Easy fix!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:06 am

I solved the volume issue by buying a house in the middle of an olive grove in an isolated community. My new jam room is a tad over 100 square meters also which helps. Easy fix!
I had a period of time where i was farming and had the same noise solution, problem was getting others out there to jam! But then also having three full stacks in a 6x3 garage isnt ideal either-such is the tortuous life of the struggling muso

Bigdaddy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bigdaddy »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:06 am
chur wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:17 am
My solution was getting the DSL-1 head, I think from you if I'm not mistaken....
"Have tone issues with all the options available today? practice more...." -John Suhr