Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Post by chur »

Molly wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:34 am Friedman Small Box 50 was Marshall's greatest amp.... ;-)
The small box pedal clone I built is my main drive pedal now, after bumping the BE-OD clone I built prior. I bet the amp itself is awesome, albeit spendy..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:06 am
chur wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:17 am
MrDINO wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:09 am I noticed after having a couple of 800s and a late jmp ( 87 I think which was an early 800) they all sounded a little different to each other but all hard to get over 1 in volume.
err yes... my JMP is non MV, so got a PPIMV installed as it was insane otherwise and only really useful as a clean platform. Even the JCM800 really needed an attenuator at band practice or everyone whined..
I solved the volume issue by buying a house in the middle of an olive grove in an isolated community. My new jam room is a tad over 100 square meters also which helps. Easy fix!
Nice! However how's the hearing?
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Mr Davison
Squier
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Mr Davison »

Bigdaddy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 am
Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:06 am

err yes... my JMP is non MV, so got a PPIMV installed as it was insane otherwise and only really useful as a clean platform. Even the JCM800 really needed an attenuator at band practice or everyone whined..
I solved the volume issue by buying a house in the middle of an olive grove in an isolated community. My new jam room is a tad over 100 square meters also which helps. Easy fix!
My solution was getting the DSL-1 head, I think from you if I'm not mistaken....
Yes indeed! And perhaps that is their greatest marketing achievement, a Marshall for every & any environment from an apartment complex to the biggest of stages. Hope your well & the DSL1 is providing crunchy goodness suitable for the room! 😃
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:02 am
Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:44 am Never played one but I know the 800 receives much love and respect from those in the know.
May I ask why you haven't played one? Even if the high input is not your thing, my personal opinion is that the low input on them is criminally underated. If you get the chance, please don't be shy!
Never really met one. I did own a JTM45. Doing a run of gigs in a 5 piece band with 500+ audience it was a sublime thing but reverting to normal operations it was overkill. It also lost character if you tried to dial it back. Likewise, I’ve always assumed 800s are just way more amp than I can use.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Nice! However how's the hearing?
No issues, I believe I have very robust ears!
I've always worked in a noisy trade & environment. As such my workplaces have been required by law to have my hearing & lung function checked twice a year which I certainly appreciate. I am extremely fastidious with hearing protection in my workplace but am extremely relaxed with it in a music environment. After 20 years of testing, my hearing has showed no signs of deterioration. I also believe I'm lucky, not all my workmates or bandmates can say the same.
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:04 pm
Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:02 am
Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:44 am Never played one but I know the 800 receives much love and respect from those in the know.
May I ask why you haven't played one? Even if the high input is not your thing, my personal opinion is that the low input on them is criminally underated. If you get the chance, please don't be shy!
Never really met one. I did own a JTM45. Doing a run of gigs in a 5 piece band with 500+ audience it was a sublime thing but reverting to normal operations it was overkill. It also lost character if you tried to dial it back. Likewise, I’ve always assumed 800s are just way more amp than I can use.
You don't need to run the JCM800 full bore like the jtm45, to get the magic. Thats what I liked about mine.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

IME there's no such thing as Marshall's greatest year. You can find a spectacular sounding beast of an amp from pretty much any year but it will require endless patience wading through a skip load of mediocre ones until you find it.
Best I've ever had was a mid 70's 4 holer, same cosmetics as your 2203 but no master etc. Mine was stolen but fortunately Maurice Plaquette ( London hire company ) had a stack of equal sonic calibre and every engineer I've ever worked with had it's serial number and would request it on sessions..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 290 times

Post by murky »

Nah. ‘87 was peak - both for the Silver Jube, and probably equally so, the original Marshall V30 - probably one of the best rock speakers ever.

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Dharmajester wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:43 pm IME there's no such thing as Marshall's greatest year. You can find a spectacular sounding beast of an amp from pretty much any year but it will require endless patience wading through a skip load of mediocre ones until you find it.
This is the absolute undeniable truth.

However, due to my completely biased post I must keep my head buried in the sand 😃
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

murky wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:19 pm Nah. ‘87 was peak - both for the Silver Jube, and probably equally so, the original Marshall V30 - probably one of the best rock speakers ever.
Sounds like a post from someone who hasn't played an '84!!
Great call on the speakers admittedly
Sonic mayhem unleashed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 pm
Dharmajester wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:43 pm IME there's no such thing as Marshall's greatest year. You can find a spectacular sounding beast of an amp from pretty much any year but it will require endless patience wading through a skip load of mediocre ones until you find it.

However, due to my completely biased post I must keep my head buried in the sand 😃
The only way to prove it is to host a gearfest.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Disclaimers may need to be signed. I don't need my biased unfactual opinions devalued further.
Sonic mayhem unleashed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:59 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Disclaimers may need to be signed. I don't need my biased unfactual opinions devalued further.
If volume is tone, I think you'll be proved right.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:35 pm

😃
IMG20220712134206.jpg
IMG20220712134206.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 1067 times
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:16 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:35 pm

😃
IMG20220712134206.jpg
Trouser-flaping-tastic.

Great when you get the volume up so high you can feel it. It gives a percussive thump you can feel in your chest. It's a rare thing to enjoy. Changes the interaction between guitar and amp. Can't imagine it's something that could be modeled.