Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Marshall Amplification - their greatest year

Post by Mr Davison »

Molly wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:36 pm
Mr Davison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:16 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:35 pm

If volume is tone, I think you'll be proved right.
😃
IMG20220712134206.jpg
Trouser-flaping-tastic.

Great when you get the volume up so high you can feel it. It gives a percussive thump you can feel in your chest. It's a rare thing to enjoy. Changes the interaction between guitar and amp. Can't imagine it's something that could be modeled.
Well put. It really does move some air.

In fact with the heatwave you're experiencing, perhaps this type of setup could be a more soulful alternative than a generic fan in the room!

And if you're ever in Northland...
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Heh! Just stumbled upon this pic from the first NZG Gearfest I ever went to.

This is about two third of the stuff I brought. From memory there was a JTM45 and Marshall 4x10, a couple '81 Tokai LPs, pedal board and a dozen beer all fitted into a Peugeot 309GTI. :rofl:
Gearfest stack.jpg
Gearfest stack.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

So rock 'n' roll Capt!
Greenstone Amplifiers

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Couldn't you find a full size Les Paul? That one looks tiny... ;)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2488 times

Post by Slowy »

Capt. Black wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 pm Heh! Just stumbled upon this pic from the first NZG Gearfest I ever went to.

This is about two third of the stuff I brought. From memory there was a JTM45 and Marshall 4x10, a couple '81 Tokai LPs, pedal board and a dozen beer all fitted into a Peugeot 309GTI. :rofl:

Gearfest stack.jpg
I remember you firing up the Marshall and drowning out everything in the room :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Rory Gallagher year 1985, now there's some tone (unsure what exactly what he had there but sure sounds 800).

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Better late than never.
The JCM800 amps that were first made in '81 take the honours I think, those and the early JTM45s and others in the '60s, seminal stuff.
Here's some of my lot

https://i.imgur.com/zLczhFB.jpg
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

'67 wasn't bad. They started the year with KT66-equipped JTM 45/100s, and ended with the first split-cathode Super Leads with Dagnall transformers. In the meantime, transitional models that became classics in their own right (e.g. the brief run of dual-rectified "black flags").

And that's only the 100 watters...

On the speaker side, you had both 20W and 25W T1221 Celestions (and 25W and 30W T1281s). And don't forget the pinstripe grille cloth and tall 1982B cabs!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Valve rectifier on the 67's?
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

Capt. Black wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 pm Heh! Just stumbled upon this pic from the first NZG Gearfest I ever went to.

Gearfest stack.jpg
I approve! I also used to own a 309GTI and it was probably the most fun to drive car I owned. Until I loaned it to a mate who hit a curb and snapped one of the rear trailing arms in half!

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

calling card wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:29 am Valve rectifier on the 67's?
Never the 100 watters (exception of an early prototype or two).

On the 50W side, there were a few KT66 JTM45s at the start of the year, then the switch to EL34s, then SS rectifiers (including the coveted "JTM50" series). To further muddy the waters, there were the existing "JTM50" PA amps from '65/'66, and the relationship between circuits and faceplates became somewhat unreliable. More info here: https://solodallas.com/history-of-the-jtm50

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Good article that. Angus Young a 50 watt pilot, I never knew. Thinking about it, yes that gritty bite of a 50 is in that sound.

I had Ryan of Amp Shop a number of years ago build me an interpretation of a build year 1968 JMP50, SS rec' too, fits with what I see in that article. I was always curious to know what'd be like with valve rec' and a bit of sag.
That one in more recent times I changed out it's JJ EL34L to Mullard ri EL34, more mellow creature it is now.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

calling card wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:50 am Good article that. Angus Young a 50 watt pilot, I never knew. Thinking about it, yes that gritty bite of a 50 is in that sound.

I had Ryan of Amp Shop a number of years ago build me an interpretation of a build year 1968 JMP50, SS rec' too, fits with what I see in that article. I was always curious to know what'd be like with valve rec' and a bit of sag.
That one in more recent times I changed out it's JJ EL34L to Mullard ri EL34, more mellow creature it is now.
Nice! '68 would be different again (split cathode, .68uf cap on V2A, 33k/500pf tonestack, possible 2.2nF coupler on the bright channel, filtering etc.), although that changed during the year also, so specifics will depend on the interpretation.

I just built a clone of a '66 JTM 45/100, which leads me to believe that was a pretty good year for Marshall too (wish I had an original). I guess they had a few of them!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Those earlier years probably were open to a range of interpretation depending on what the part bins offered. Defining point of vintage perhaps.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

calling card wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:01 pm Those earlier years probably were open to a range of interpretation depending on what the part bins offered. Defining point of vintage perhaps.
Absolutely! I've got a '69 Super Bass with three different kinds of coupling caps (mustards, blue/yellow Dubilier ones and those green Hunts ones). It wasn't until the early '70s that they started getting some consistency.

Fender on the other hand...