Roland JC in a wet/dry/wet setup

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Roland JC in a wet/dry/wet setup

Post by IMOCD »

Kia ora. There's a JC for sale near me that I'm sniffing around, with a view to using it for stereo wet in a w/d/w setup with my Lionheart. On paper it looks like it should work. I know it won't give me a wide stereo spread, but it'll be stereo nonetheless. I have a splitter box that does the isolation/ground lift thing if needed.
I guess another option is a poweramp pedal and two separate cabs, but I quite like the idea of the JC for those times when I want a quick noodle. Has anyone done something similar?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Roland JC in a wet/dry/wet setup

Post by robthemac »

IMOCD wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:39 pm Kia ora. There's a JC for sale near me that I'm sniffing around, with a view to using it for stereo wet in a w/d/w setup with my Lionheart. On paper it looks like it should work. I know it won't give me a wide stereo spread, but it'll be stereo nonetheless. I have a splitter box that does the isolation/ground lift thing if needed.
I guess another option is a poweramp pedal and two separate cabs, but I quite like the idea of the JC for those times when I want a quick noodle. Has anyone done something similar?
If you really want the stereo effect, distance between the speakers is pretty essential. Less important if you just want a wet/dry effect.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I run my two amps completely wet in stereo, the differences between the two circuits gives me a cool effect.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yes but you are completely wet :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:45 pm yes but you are completely wet :P
In your presence, yes.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

If it’s a newer one you get to tell send to left and right via the effects loop. I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the old ones are mono all the way until the chorus splits it.? Been awhile since I had one.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

IMOCD wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:39 pm Kia ora. There's a JC for sale near me that I'm sniffing around, with a view to using it for stereo wet in a w/d/w setup with my Lionheart. On paper it looks like it should work. I know it won't give me a wide stereo spread, but it'll be stereo nonetheless. I have a splitter box that does the isolation/ground lift thing if needed.
Which model Jazz Chorus are you looking at?

JC-120 has a mono effects send but a stereo effects return, but the effects loop works only for Ch2 (which is the channel most people probably don't use).

If you want true stereo all the way through the amp, JC-40 is the one you want (stereo input on the front end). In my experience it's actually surprising how good the stereo imaging is considering it's a small combo with the speakers right next to each other.

However, for a WDW setup I really think you'd need to be able to place the DRY in the centre of the stereo field for it to sound right, so I don't know if the Jazz Chorus will really work out in this scenario. You'd really want separate amps for left and right (two JCs? Haha)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world