Controlling a din footswitch via midi

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Controlling a din footswitch via midi

Post by griff »

So I'm just wondering if this is at all possible or if there's a device that does this..
My Randall rg100 combo has a 4 button footswitch connected via a 6 pin din cable to the amp. I want to start using this amp at gigs and intergrate my atomic amplifire as a midi switcher that can change effects and channels on the amp at the same time.
So basically, Atomic to send midi PC to a device that then sends signal via din cable to change amp channel.
I'm guessing it can be done but I would have to build it :crazy:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Controlling a din footswitch via midi

Post by jeremyb »

You can get MIDI amp channel switchers and you’d just need to make a cable to go from that to the amp :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Voodoo labs control switcher.
You need to figure out what each pin does on the 6 din connection. Decide which one you can do without, or which two you want to combine, as you're going from six to five pins. Unless you get two switchers (expensive).
You'll need to solder a 6 din socket to a 5 din (midi) socket. Or buy a ready made 6 to 5 din adaptor and hope it switches what you want

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Your atomic pedal can probably send Midi commands if it has a midi out. You'll have to read the manual. It's fiddly but satisfying when done.

Also I think it depends if your amp is actually receiving midi or if it's just a signal sent through a midi cable.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Zaulkin wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:45 am Your atomic pedal can probably send Midi commands if it has a midi out. You'll have to read the manual. It's fiddly but satisfying when done.

Also I think it depends if your amp is actually receiving midi or if it's just a signal sent through a midi cable.
Yeah bud that's the plan. I think the Voodoo Switcher might just do it.
Love the AA

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Mattallica wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 am Voodoo labs control switcher.
You need to figure out what each pin does on the 6 din connection. Decide which one you can do without, or which two you want to combine, as you're going from six to five pins. Unless you get two switchers (expensive).
You'll need to solder a 6 din socket to a 5 din (midi) socket. Or buy a ready made 6 to 5 din adaptor and hope it switches what you want
Thanks Matt. I sent them a message asking if it can be done. Great advice!

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:26 pm
My pleasure. Alternatively, if you just want to control one or two footswitch functions, there are some simpler midi to TS or midi TRS adapters out there. You'd need to wire up a TS or TRS plug to whichever pins you want on a 6 din plug.

I've done a 5 pin din to 2xTRS before. It was quite fiddly. The less pins you use, the easier it should be to solder.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Mattallica wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:35 pm
griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:26 pm
My pleasure. Alternatively, if you just want to control one or two footswitch functions, there are some simpler midi to TS or midi TRS adapters out there. You'd need to wire up a TS or TRS plug to whichever pins you want on a 6 din plug.

I've done a 5 pin din to 2xTRS before. It was quite fiddly. The less pins you use, the easier it should be to solder.
Hmm interesting.. might be the go if I don't go the voodoo labs route

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

I use voodoo switcher, it’s a TRS/midi converter switcher with the ability to write presets for your footswith to recall later.

So in your case, you need a Din/TRS cable to get it to work with this switcher.

All of my amps are all either TRS or Midi based, so I haven’t deal with Din Cable yet.

Or get in touch with RJM to see if they supply specific cable for your amp at all?