Hook up wiring voltage

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 900 times

Hook up wiring voltage

Post by Marshmallow »

Hi All,

I ran out of the 600v 20awg wiring and can't seem to buy them atm. Have you guys had any issues using 300v 20awg on the preamp side of the amp? for B+, I'm using 600v until the plate resistors and maybe 300V hook up wire from there. Would there by any issues?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Re: Hook up wiring voltage

Post by MikeC »

Good Q and one I've wondered about. If a wire with 300V rated insulation is touching (say) a solder point with (say) 500V on it, can the 300V insulation break down from the outside?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: Hook up wiring voltage

Post by sizzlingbadger »

MikeC wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:41 pm Good Q and one I've wondered about. If a wire with 300V rated insulation is touching (say) a solder point with (say) 500V on it, can the 300V insulation break down from the outside?
Yes it can...

The rating is for voltage differential between the conductor and the surface of the insulation, this can happen in either direction. If you are really careful you may be able to safely use 300v wire in an amp, but I wouldn't do it personally.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...