Fender Princeton in NZ?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dojodaniel
Stagg
Stagg
Posts: 2
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:29 pm
Has liked: 1 time

Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by dojodaniel »

I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

I'm happy to pay close to 2-2.3k at most.

Are there any alternative tube amps in NZ that have the same kind of tone? I"m open to copies. I heard some people mention head strong amps and the lil king looks great. I don't know where in NZ I can try them out or purchase though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have considered the Blues JR but the sound just doesn't do it for me.

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8981
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 1134 times
Been liked: 1462 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by robthemac »

I heard rumours of a forum-built Princeton floating around. Think you're unfortunately looking at more than $2300 for something new though.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

User avatar
MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3092
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: Red Beach, Auckland
Has liked: 1383 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by MikeC »

dojodaniel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 pm I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

I'm happy to pay close to 2-2.3k at most.

Are there any alternative tube amps in NZ that have the same kind of tone? I"m open to copies. I heard some people mention head strong amps and the lil king looks great. I don't know where in NZ I can try them out or purchase though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have considered the Blues JR but the sound just doesn't do it for me.
I can build you one (a "proper" hand built hand wired clone - e.g. pics below). BG can build you the combo cab. I can price up a completed working chassis which would have all valves, foot switch, reverb tank, reverb leads, mounting brackets etc.
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (606.16 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
PR Chassis Topside.jpg
PR Chassis Topside.jpg (191.77 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg (208.15 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

User avatar
MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 2352
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I can vouch for MikeC and BG's quality workmanship and commitment to customer satisfaction :) I had them build me a Deluxe Reverb head +2x12 and it is supreme. Cheaper or similar price to a new Fender reissue, but you know, actually built like it should be :thumbup:

dojodaniel
Stagg
Stagg
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:29 pm
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by dojodaniel »

MikeC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm
dojodaniel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 pm I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

I'm happy to pay close to 2-2.3k at most.

Are there any alternative tube amps in NZ that have the same kind of tone? I"m open to copies. I heard some people mention head strong amps and the lil king looks great. I don't know where in NZ I can try them out or purchase though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have considered the Blues JR but the sound just doesn't do it for me.
I can build you one (a "proper" hand built hand wired clone - e.g. pics below). BG can build you the combo cab. I can price up a completed working chassis which would have all valves, foot switch, reverb tank, reverb leads, mounting brackets etc.
Front.jpg
PR Chassis Topside.jpg
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg
I’m very interested. What’s the best way to contact you?

User avatar
MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3092
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: Red Beach, Auckland
Has liked: 1383 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by MikeC »

dojodaniel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 am
MikeC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm
dojodaniel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 pm I'm looking to purchase a Fender Princeton in NZ but they usually sell for around 2.5 - 3k which is slightly out of my budget.

I'm happy to pay close to 2-2.3k at most.

Are there any alternative tube amps in NZ that have the same kind of tone? I"m open to copies. I heard some people mention head strong amps and the lil king looks great. I don't know where in NZ I can try them out or purchase though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have considered the Blues JR but the sound just doesn't do it for me.
I can build you one (a "proper" hand built hand wired clone - e.g. pics below). BG can build you the combo cab. I can price up a completed working chassis which would have all valves, foot switch, reverb tank, reverb leads, mounting brackets etc.
Front.jpg
PR Chassis Topside.jpg
PR Chassis Gutshot.jpg
I’m very interested. What’s the best way to contact you?
Phone me 021-827-957 or PM me on this forum.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:37 pm
Location: The Tron
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by null_pointer »

+2 on Mike, I have a great Deluxe Reverb (NOT RI!) from him that sorts my Fender amp spectrum out nicely. Talk to him about mod options on the circuit(s) too, can't recommend that discussion enough. If you go PR, Mike can steer you to a reduced bass/reduced blocking distortion change which will allow you a little more headroom when pushed.

User avatar
k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Hutt
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by k1w1 »

+3 for Mike and BG builds. I have a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 from Mike and cab from BG and it is just fantastic. Mike added global power scaling and a switch to increase the volume before beak up or have standard. Only amp I turn on these days.

ImageIMG_1899 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 43540
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 2284 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by Bg »

I might have to look at power scaling for mine, I might get to use it then ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1776
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 pm
Has liked: 492 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by IMOCD »

Want a 5e3 soooo badly, but yeah, the volume needed to get them to work their magic means no go for me. :cry:

User avatar
MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3092
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: Red Beach, Auckland
Has liked: 1383 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by MikeC »

I can add power scaling to an already built 5E3 amp.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

User avatar
k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Hutt
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by k1w1 »

:oops: I have never had mine full out, I live in a duplex with folks all around me. I have had it to 6 on the power scale and it was bloody loud and did the 5E3 thing and does the same at 2-3 which is where I normally have it and just use the normal volumes/treble as needed to find the sound I want. 2 1/2 years and no complaints. 'Tis a truly wonderful thing.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 42360
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by jeremyb »

Princetons are such great amps, much want!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 43540
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 2284 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by Bg »

MikeC wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:26 pm I can add power scaling to an already built 5E3 amp.
If it doesn't sell I'll be looking into it ;) Its too loud for me here. Having said which, when I move I'm looking for somewhere that will have adequate soundproofing :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 42360
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 8057 times
Been liked: 4299 times

Re: Fender Princeton in NZ?

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:03 pm
MikeC wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:26 pm I can add power scaling to an already built 5E3 amp.
If it doesn't sell I'll be looking into it ;) Its too loud for me here. Having said which, when I move I'm looking for somewhere that will have adequate soundproofing :D
I was tempted by Lostininverness’ 5e3 but it was just way too loud for my bedroom, my Laney champ does the business at manageable volume.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Post Reply