The Impedance Question

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

The Impedance Question

Post by Slowy »

I have an amp with an 8 and 16 ohm selectable speaker out. I usually play one of the two 12" 16 ohm units I have.

Now my question: If I had two identical Celestion Blues say, except one was 8 and the other 16 ohm, would there be any differences in the sound? Specifically, does the different load affect the amp in any way?

Amp is low wattage, 2x EL84.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: The Impedance Question

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 pm I have an amp with an 8 and 16 ohm selectable speaker out. I usually play one of the two 12" 16 ohm units I have.

Now my question: If I had two identical Celestion Blues say, except one was 8 and the other 16 ohm, would there be any differences in the sound? Specifically, does the different load affect the amp in any way?

Amp is low wattage, 2x EL84.
Going to assume that the CB specification is identical for the 8 and 16 ohm version...
Then the only difference I imagine would be introduced by the output transformer which might have a 'preference' for either 8 or 16 ohm. OT specs would provide you some clues... The OT would take care of the different loads so to speak so shouldn't majorly impact on the power section.

I don't think you would hear much, if any difference unless the Blues' specs are quite different.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

There might be a subtle difference in sensitivity and frequency response but would you notice is another thing entirely.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

One Blue will get twice as much power as the other. But they're both Blues so you shouldn't hear any difference overall.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

The frequency response of 8 and 16 ohm versions of the same speaker are different. Some manufacturers actually provide different curve graphs depending on the ohms (Eminence I think?). Whether or not you can notice it is the real question.

The 8 and 16 ohm windings of the output transformer will also have different frequency responses, due to different numbers of wire turns which affects inductance and both treble and bass response. Again, it might not be noticeable.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

In general 16ohm speakers seem a tiny bit brighter to their 8ohm counterparts.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Too be a pendant, this is 'An Impedance Question' as there are many more that could have been asked. As you were.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

That pedal show did a video on this question

https://youtu.be/WP6uHtClwec

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Optical wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:51 am That pedal show did a video on this question

https://youtu.be/WP6uHtClwec
Haven't watched the video, but I imagine it takes about fifty minutes and eight guitars more than is required to answer the question.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

You can get a little blue pill from your doctor to help with impedance.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Don't be so impedant!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:37 am Too be a pendant, this is 'An Impedance Question' as there are many more that could have been asked. As you were.
I feel some resistance to being broader on this topic too.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:37 am Too be a pendant, this is 'An Impedance Question' as there are many more that could have been asked. As you were.
To be pedantic, this is my question. It’s the only one I have. Therefore it’s THE question.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

In that case "My Impedance Question - the only one I have"

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:35 am In that case "My Impedance Question - the only one I have"
But it’s not all about me.