Recording cranked amps at Home

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: Recording cranked amps at Home

Post by Zaulkin »

Has anyone here compared the Suhr Reactive Load to a Fryette Powerstation 2?

I keep hearing that the Suhr is the thing to go for. The Fryette interests me though as it integrates well with my rig for other uses.

I suppose the most obvious answer is to make a clone of the Suhr / Aitken circuit.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Zaulkin wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:41 am Has anyone here compared the Suhr Reactive Load to a Fryette Powerstation 2?

I keep hearing that the Suhr is the thing to go for. The Fryette interests me though as it integrates well with my rig for other uses.

I suppose the most obvious answer is to make a clone of the Suhr / Aitken circuit.
I’ve had the Fryette too and the load compares favourably with the Suhr. It’s a bit more versatile as a pure load, you can tweak the impedance curves with the toggle switches.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

blackstratblues wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:15 am
Zaulkin wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:41 am Has anyone here compared the Suhr Reactive Load to a Fryette Powerstation 2?

I’ve had the Fryette too and the load compares favourably with the Suhr. It’s a bit more versatile as a pure load, you can tweak the impedance curves with the toggle switches.

Excellent demo Warren.
From the reactive load perspective, how hot does the Suhr RL get when running the SLO thru it?
I have very minimal experience with RL’s but running a 100 Marshall thru one you coulda fried an egg on it :?
The Fryette PS100 is what I’m leaning toward.

blackstratblues
Gibson

higainer wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:45 am

Excellent demo Warren.
From the reactive load perspective, how hot does the Suhr RL get when running the SLO thru it?
I have very minimal experience with RL’s but running a 100 Marshall thru one you coulda fried an egg on it :?
The Fryette PS100 is what I’m leaning toward.
Thanks! The Suhr Load is well heat sunk so there is minimal heat perceptibly coming off the unit. The PS100 is an excellent choice if you are needing to run a cab at low volume.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

blackstratblues wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:30 am
robthemac wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:11 am Most of these don't function as an attenuator as well, right? That's basically just Ox Box and PS2?
Yup but the OX’s attenuation is poo, and some of the Two Notes Captors have fixed attenuation.

I’ve had good luck running the Suhr load into an old Marshall Valvestate 8008 and using that to drive cabs at low volume.
So basically making your own Fryette, functionally?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

blackstratblues
Gibson

robthemac wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:27 am

So basically making your own Fryette, functionally?
Yup exactly, though the Fryette’s power section is all tube.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Those Marshall 8008 power amps are damn good for what they often sell for.

At one point I shot out about 6 different power amps. Damn I regret not making a video of that. Long story.

blackstratblues
Gibson

Zaulkin wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:31 am Those Marshall 8008 power amps are damn good for what they often sell for.

At one point I shot out about 6 different power amps. Damn I regret not making a video of that. Long story.
Can agree there. Found one cheap on TM but seller insisted on Chch pickup. JB kindly helped me get it to the 09, super thankful to him for that.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Just saw this Nik. They're very similar sounding as far as I can remember. They're both the best in the business. Fryette would be better value for money though, it just has more uses, as BSB has stated.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Been recording my parts for our new album today. I think I still slightly prefer e906 on the grill into interface over the Captor. But far prefer the Captor with built in IRs in a live setting.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

The Power Station seems to be the option for attenuation and recording. There really doesn't seem to be an affordable alternative.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:41 pm The Power Station seems to be the option for attenuation and recording. There really doesn't seem to be an affordable alternative.
DIY iso cab and mic?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

griff wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:03 pm

Just saw this Nik. They're very similar sounding as far as I can remember. They're both the best in the business. Fryette would be better value for money though, it just has more uses, as BSB has stated.
robthemac wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:41 pm The Power Station seems to be the option for attenuation and recording. There really doesn't seem to be an affordable alternative.
Somebody sell me one. :D