TubeWorks Ratfur Combo Surprise

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

TubeWorks Ratfur Combo Surprise

Post by Slowy »

I discovered this in a dusty corner this evening and plugged it in for the first time in years. I was greeted with a steady, solid hum and an erratic reverb.
Some energetic twisting of the knob later, the reverb settled down to its job which was a good thing because the amp sounded fantastic. Scooped mids were Fendery and boosted mids snapped and growled and absolutely ruled with a Tele. A really dynamic feel and it cleaned up on the Strat volume to as good a 'Sultans of Swing' tone as I've ever found.

Then there's the drive channel which is a built in 'BK Butler Tube Driver'; same as the stupidly expensive pedal.
How could I have forgotten how incredibly good this thing sounds!

An hour later, I wasn't noticing the hum and I've never enjoyed playing my G&L Legacy more. I was thinking of dumping this but it's convinced me to put it in the Band backline instead 8)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: TubeWorks Ratfur Combo Surprise

Post by JHorner »

Damn, thought it wasn't that long ago you got it, but yeah it was 3 years.

viewtopic.php?p=819165#p819165

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

JHorner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:11 pm Damn, thought it wasn't that long ago you got it, but yeah it was 3 years.

viewtopic.php?p=819165#p819165
Well spotted! Must be 2 years since I've plugged it in. The effect of 10 amp syndrome :roll: :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

:P Forgetfulness can be such a blessing

:lol:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.