Get at them tubes..

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: Get at them tubes..

Post by Molly »

IMOCD wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:51 pm
Molly wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:37 pm
I'm in no hurry to send money to Russia.
Based on this assumption that one makes a stand against countries/regimes that carry out atrocities in other countries, does that mean that buying from Fender and Gibson are off limits as well? :shifty:
Yes. I know. It reads like something an idealistic adolescent might say. We buy Chinese goods despite their treatment of certain minorities. And you barely need scratch the surface of other countries to find other abuses etc etc etc. But ultimately the only control you have is as a consumer so when you're able to exercise choice, make a choice. Completely inconsequential and hypocritical when compared to a thousand other decisions you might make that day. I'll concede that.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:46 pm
Molly wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:37 pm Just because export restrictions are eased doesn't mean it's ok to buy them.

Sounds like the war isn’t that far away from being over, Ukraine just has to agree to stay out of NATO and not let foreign countries have military bases on their soil and Russia will back off.
Let's hope so. And let's hope Putin is held to account.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

Molly wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:46 pm
Molly wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:37 pm Just because export restrictions are eased doesn't mean it's ok to buy them.

Sounds like the war isn’t that far away from being over, Ukraine just has to agree to stay out of NATO and not let foreign countries have military bases on their soil and Russia will back off.
Let's hope so. And let's hope Putin is held to account.
One of the wealthy Russians on Twitter has a million dollar bounty on Putin's head for anyone who kills him.
There used to be a movie called "Kill Bill" there needs to be the equivalent for Putin.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

calling card wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:40 pm
kdawg2a wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:59 pm In my 30+ years of being a guitar playerist I have pretty much only ever used tube amps, some new and some old. All my current amps (6 amps?) are tube. I would estimate, in total, ive owned around 20 different tube amps in the corse of my electric string plucking times. Never once have had to replace a tube.
No fog & failure of vacuum loss? No microphonic preamp ones? Self destructing rectifiers?
Nope, never had any issues.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:56 am
kdawg2a wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:59 pm In my 30+ years of being a guitar playerist I have pretty much only ever used tube amps, some new and some old. All my current amps (6 amps?) are tube. I would estimate, in total, ive owned around 20 different tube amps in the corse of my electric string plucking times. Never once have had to replace a tube.
No fog & failure of vacuum loss? No microphonic preamp ones? Self destructing rectifiers?
Same here. Almost. When Clarry refurbished my Harmony, he rejected the old Telefunken 12AX7 I'd put in it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Slowy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:31 am
kdawg2a wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:56 am

Same here. Almost. When Clarry refurbished my Harmony, he rejected the old Telefunken 12AX7 I'd put in it.
Me too, 50 years of tube amps. Only one awkward failure when out on tour I had to play a show in Shefield Town Hall DI'd into the Front of house PA. A whole show with a clean plinky guitar sound.
Might also be picking up an original 64 Bassman today but I doubt it has the original glass...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Pretty much the same - with the exception of GZ34’s vs the Standby Switch. Now I just don’t just the standby switch where an amp has a tube recto.

I’d add that the most interesting sounding amps are often the ones with old mismatched tubes, that “need” replacing. Nope!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Hmm, out of maybe 8 amps with tubes, I've had issues with 3. I guess I'm having all the bad luck for you fellas.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Ehx looking to resume shipping tubes in April but mentioned a probable price increase.

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

Who uses tubes in 2022?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Joe Bonermassive
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Jops wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:58 am Who uses tubes in 2022?
Me :sarc:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Jops wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:58 am Who uses tubes in 2022?
Me.. about twice a year :sarc:

I love the violence of a Marshall half stack moving air when the family is out and the neighbors are at work.. its quite a buzz.. for a short while anyway..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

American made toobs could become a thing again! https://www.westernelectric.com/expand
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

There's always Shugang I guess too.... not ideal, I know - but we'll get through!

This will all be over soon as apparently there's a coup brewing in Putin's inner circle... or maybe the PR intern at CIA's media propaganda unit got a little excited :mental: