Marshall SV20

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 6382
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 pm
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 597 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by rickenbackerkid »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 am Good to know. I've been very tempted by these amps since they have come out. I wonder what the reasoning behind the 10" speaker was? Why not a 12"? I assume there is an output for an external speaker cabinet?
I suspect they have taken a leaf from PA system design, where the speaker is less important than the overall cabinet design. In PA system world, no one gives a shit what the speaker size is, they care about how it sounds and how loud it can go. The SV20 seems to work great, loud, clear, good dispersion and not too directional or beamy. The only thing it doesn't do is 4x12 V30 chug - and that's less a Plexi thing and more JCM800/Soldano/Boogie thing anyway.

Speaker outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm, so it's easy as to use any cabinet you like. It's fabulous into my 80's 4x12 with old 75 watt speakers - ACDC porn

User avatar
FuzzMonkey
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:25 pm
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by FuzzMonkey »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:50 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 am Good to know. I've been very tempted by these amps since they have come out. I wonder what the reasoning behind the 10" speaker was? Why not a 12"? I assume there is an output for an external speaker cabinet?
I suspect they have taken a leaf from PA system design, where the speaker is less important than the overall cabinet design. In PA system world, no one gives a shit what the speaker size is, they care about how it sounds and how loud it can go. The SV20 seems to work great, loud, clear, good dispersion and not too directional or beamy. The only thing it doesn't do is 4x12 V30 chug - and that's less a Plexi thing and more JCM800/Soldano/Boogie thing anyway.

Speaker outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm, so it's easy as to use any cabinet you like. It's fabulous into my 80's 4x12 with old 75 watt speakers - ACDC porn
Cool. Again good to know. I've got a Marshall Class 5 combo at the moment which is rudely loud at 5-watts and runs 10" speaker as well. Though I'm guessing the cabinet designs is probably not as good as the SV20 combo.

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3531
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 851 times
Been liked: 738 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by robthemac »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:50 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 am Good to know. I've been very tempted by these amps since they have come out. I wonder what the reasoning behind the 10" speaker was? Why not a 12"? I assume there is an output for an external speaker cabinet?
I suspect they have taken a leaf from PA system design, where the speaker is less important than the overall cabinet design. In PA system world, no one gives a shit what the speaker size is, they care about how it sounds and how loud it can go. The SV20 seems to work great, loud, clear, good dispersion and not too directional or beamy. The only thing it doesn't do is 4x12 V30 chug - and that's less a Plexi thing and more JCM800/Soldano/Boogie thing anyway.

Speaker outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm, so it's easy as to use any cabinet you like. It's fabulous into my 80's 4x12 with old 75 watt speakers - ACDC porn
Cool. Again good to know. I've got a Marshall Class 5 combo at the moment which is rudely loud at 5-watts and runs 10" speaker as well. Though I'm guessing the cabinet designs is probably not as good as the SV20 combo.
What we really need is a DSL-1, but with a couple more watts and JMP voicing. Hmmm... Wonder if one could be modded....

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 38339
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 2249 times
Been liked: 3441 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Bg »

What we really need are big box sized cabs for these dinky little marshalls, they just look like toys sadly. Especially sat on top of a quad.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

User avatar
AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 6859
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 pm
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 760 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by AiRdAd »

Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:45 pm
Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 am

After avoiding Marshalls for many many years, I'm thinking this might be the amp for me to try. Advise please...

Can't believe I'm reading this... :wink:
Well, I had a Marshall class 5 many years ago, which I just didn't like. I've always much preferred Vox and Fender blackface tones, so I've stuck with various flavours of them.
Conway, please don't tell me you formed your opinion of Marshall amps, based on playing a Class 5 :-) :-) :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

User avatar
Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 9422
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 1223 times
Contact:

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Conway »

LOL no, I’ve tried a few others. I just never really liked the Marshall sound. Always preferred Vox firstly and then Fender clean.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

User avatar
Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Hamilton
Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Miza »

Conway wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:52 am LOL no, I’ve tried a few others. I just never really liked the Marshall sound. Always preferred Vox firstly and then Fender clean.
Sounds like the 18W format might be right up your alley. Marshall sounds, but a EL84 power section just for a hint of Vox-iness.
Nothing to see here.

Optical
Squier
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:34 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Optical »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:41 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:50 pm

I suspect they have taken a leaf from PA system design, where the speaker is less important than the overall cabinet design. In PA system world, no one gives a shit what the speaker size is, they care about how it sounds and how loud it can go. The SV20 seems to work great, loud, clear, good dispersion and not too directional or beamy. The only thing it doesn't do is 4x12 V30 chug - and that's less a Plexi thing and more JCM800/Soldano/Boogie thing anyway.

Speaker outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm, so it's easy as to use any cabinet you like. It's fabulous into my 80's 4x12 with old 75 watt speakers - ACDC porn
Cool. Again good to know. I've got a Marshall Class 5 combo at the moment which is rudely loud at 5-watts and runs 10" speaker as well. Though I'm guessing the cabinet designs is probably not as good as the SV20 combo.
What we really need is a DSL-1, but with a couple more watts and JMP voicing. Hmmm... Wonder if one could be modded....
Yes, ive done this. Couple of circuit tweaks and use a 12bh7

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3531
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 851 times
Been liked: 738 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by robthemac »

Any good?

User avatar
GrantB
ADMIN
Posts: 14239
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:04 am
Location: Where I need to be
Has liked: 1150 times
Been liked: 2094 times
Contact:

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by GrantB »

Waiting for BigDaddy to pipe up with his 1watt Marshall views...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Posts: 9949
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:26 pm
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 461 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by slash-ed »

SV-20 - exquisite amp, still too fucking loud.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

User avatar
Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 9422
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 1223 times
Contact:

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Conway »

slash-ed wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:08 pm SV-20 - exquisite amp, still too fucking loud.
Did you see that I have one of your Waza Tube Amp Expanders to deal with that issue. :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Bigdaddy
Greg Bennet
Greg Bennet
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Bigdaddy »

GrantB wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:13 pm Waiting for BigDaddy to pipe up with his 1watt Marshall views...
:lol:

OK. I collect the 1 watt Marshalls from the 50th Anniversary series and now have the JTM1 Offset; JCM1; DSL1 and the Andertons JTM145. All are heads. For me, they are the perfect Marshalls for home use especially at the 0.1W setting. Even at 1 Watt, it gets LOUD. I also have the Vietnamese DSL1 combo with reverb but that's voiced differently to the 50th Anniversary DSL.

They get the flavour of their larger counterparts (bearing in mind the size of the transformers). I'd say 85 - 90% there. Hey, I'm never going to get to crank a JTM45 at home so this is the closest I'll ever get.

Practically though, they work great cause you can use them everyday at home to practise, play alongs etc...without annoying anyone; even late at night.

I put vintage Mullards in V1 and it made a huge difference but not elsewhere. Especially in the JTM and JCM.

Pick of the bunch is the JTM145 with the jumpered inputs built in for the normal and high treble channel with seperate volumes and a TMB tone stack.

Now, if only Fender would do a 1 Watt Tweed Deluxe.............





"Have tone issues with all the options available today? practice more...." -John Suhr

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Posts: 9949
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:26 pm
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 461 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by slash-ed »

Conway wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 pm
slash-ed wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:08 pm SV-20 - exquisite amp, still too fucking loud.
Did you see that I have one of your Waza Tube Amp Expanders to deal with that issue. :wink:
Haha that is the perfect match for that amp. That's what I was doing when I had my SV20.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

User avatar
Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 9422
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 1223 times
Contact:

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by Conway »

Right, so I decided I will go ahead and buy one... and now I can't find anyone who has the head in stock.

I can find a combo that will ship to NZ, so I might have to go that route.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Post Reply