Any Komets in NZ?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Any Komets in NZ?

Post by murky »

Or anyone played one?

Knopfler used a K60 for a while.

The guy that designs them (Hoggy) is a bit of an institution, and has great ears.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Re: Any Komets in NZ?

Post by Dharmajester »

I wish.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Great amps.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I've got one... On my Axe Fx :D
Loving it so far

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

in my Kemper as well :wink:

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

^ woah? Barge pole anyone...anyone?

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Just listened to a demo of their Silver Cloud...what a beast 👹

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

I came close to buying one, but they need to be played at volume to get the most out of them and they are really loud. With stage volumes coming down and my decision to be done with attenuators I decided against it. I'd love to try one though.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I played a smaller Komet in the USA...the name escapes me...huge sound, definitely raunchier than the vids re the 60. I seem to think it was only 20 watts, but it was 5 years ago and I was hung over.

I think this is where something like the ÷13 BTR23 shows how a well designed master volume can be integrated without losing much. That thing has a KT88 power section so it's fat and juicy, and even at lower volumes. The Komet is a bit sweeter but yeah, got to crank that baby....

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

Two Rock is the same, the master volumes are so incredibly good now, it's at the point that the master volume sounds considerably better than an attenuator or reamping.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

I dunno - a master can only do so much - but bottom line is it can’t get the power tubes cooking unless you turn it up.

Perfect if your amp is designed for predominantly preamp gain (e.g. Friedman, Tworock), or you don’t run it wide open. But if you’re after the power tube magic that happens after 3 o’clock, I recon a master’s pretty much useless.

Anyway, back on topic - some interesting AC30 wisdom from Hogy himself:
Attachments
3BF82E77-0A08-4CC1-8309-9B2FED36FA2B.png
3BF82E77-0A08-4CC1-8309-9B2FED36FA2B.png (975.93 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Voxshall wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm I came close to buying one, but they need to be played at volume to get the most out of them and they are really loud. With stage volumes coming down and my decision to be done with attenuators I decided against it. I'd love to try one though.
J - what model were you looking at?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I wish the JMI I had wasn’t so beastly loud and heavy. It was indeed as Hogy lays out. I’ve asked to buy it back. Not for sale. Ever.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

murky wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 pm
Voxshall wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 pm I came close to buying one, but they need to be played at volume to get the most out of them and they are really loud. With stage volumes coming down and my decision to be done with attenuators I decided against it. I'd love to try one though.
J - what model were you looking at?
I know Hogy's favourite was the Silver Cloud, I was looking at that when I first heard about it being released and the K60, I determined the smaller models are still way louder then where I needed to be.

I completely agree a vintage AC30 is one of the best sounding amps on the planet, I also agree there is no substitution for a cranked amp and the effect it has on power tubes and the speakers but for my taste at lower volumes I thought putting a NMV classic into an attenuator was less of a compromise to tone than a master volume preamp design (Dumble/Two Rock etc), but now master volumes have improved that's no longer the case.