Magnatone Amp Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Magnatone Amp Thread

Post by jeremyb »

Seeing as Molly has one now, we should celebrate these great sounding amps!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Re: Magnatone Amp Thread

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Vintage 213/Tonemaster 214 for the win!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

murky wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:01 am Vintage 213/Tonemaster 214 for the win!
Mmmm much love for the tonemaster after watching the fretted americana vids with Phil X for so many years :mrgreen:

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Prices put these in the boutique realm.
There are a lot of other brands that I'd look at because of that.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

goldtop0 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:47 am Prices put these in the boutique realm.
There are a lot of other brands that I'd look at because of that.
I guess that's true of most things. I just visited a car museum and was lusting after a McLaren. But for the price I suppose I could buy a few Toyotas. Would still want the McLaren though.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I've got them all in my Fractal and Kemper :wink:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Headphones advisable...

:thumbup:

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:41 am
murky wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:01 am Vintage 213/Tonemaster 214 for the win!
Mmmm much love for the tonemaster after watching the fretted americana vids with Phil X for so many years :mrgreen:
I used to laugh when he’d switch from the Tonemaster, which always sounded great, to AC30 - and you’d instantly lose the chub.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

KNNZ wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:31 pm I've got them all in my Fractal and Kemper :wink:
Yeah but nah!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:06 pm
KNNZ wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:31 pm I've got them all in my Fractal and Kemper :wink:
Yeah but nah!
Duh, yeah. I was just thinking how much I like those two stereo combos they make, and what I'd need to sell to buy one. Your email reminded me that I have already got one (probably).

(My Kemper came with over 1000 amp profiles, so I have no idea which amps I have!)

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Not the biggest fan of boutique reissues of yesteryears budget amps, especially when it's done by oppotunists that have zero connection to the original manufacturer. These US$750 Evil Robots were ok but the current lineup is a bit ridiculous.
Last edited by godgrinder on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Not sure how it does it but I was saying to one of the chaps the other day that in an a/b with my other amps the Magnatone just fills the room. It's a big but unforgiving tone.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

godgrinder wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 pm Not the biggest fan of boutique reissues of yesteryears budget amps, especially when it's done by oppotunists that have zero connection to the original manufacturer. These US$750 Evil Robots were ok but the current lineup is a bit ridiculous.
Not much love for Leo Fender then and the bandwagon of free-loaders who've contributed to re-imagining his company's designs at every price-point, feature set and material/labour cost over the decades :o It's a market of free-to-pursue opportunists at all levels. That's the name of the game.

Granted, it's a lot of money for, what may be to some, an average sounding amp with a specific effect gimmick that you can approximate in a pedal. If that's your jam the market caters for you. If not, then there is finally an off-the-shelf offering that nails the intrinsic Magnatone vibe without having to scour the earth (and I've read the handy-dandy online research that some cats have done comparing the frequency slopes of various new stock and old stock varistors and network designed approximations of the effect's sound - upshot: none come close to the now out of production originals) for NOS parts to make your own or refurb an original...all with their cost/price outcomes.

The varistor based vib/trem is a very expensive circuit to build. Magnatone have secured a supplier to manufacture new varistors to the original spec. This would take considerable negotiation and contracted supply agreement quantities to make it feasible for both parties...very spendy.

The Evil Robot amps were knock-offs (and that's cool) of a rebranded Magnatone design from the time that these amps were favoured by purveyors of one of El Diablo's racket mongers...the electrified piano-accordion. The Evil Robot vibrato/tremolo onboard effect sounds like an opto-trem (standard Fender fare on BF/SF amps) and not the much more complicated (more parts/labour/skill required and much more expensive parts) varistor derived vib/trem featured on the modern version of the 60s units.

I'm a bit of a tool perv. I like using nice tools...they feel good, often look good and last longer...I love my Stahlwille torque wrench with DRO 8) I use to tighten the cylinder nuts on my Vespa engine by feel. Practice for a while then go for the Tight as Fuck method. I've used cheap spanners and the jaw spread and rounded the nut...went to a Hazet and the thing went on sweet and held...could have stopped there. But I knew I could have done better and the market had an offering that met my criteria.

The Magnatone vibe is like a sonic tool, now available, if that's your jam and an approximate isn't swinging it for you. Some cats have to have an amp that has the gain structure that's just right for their chug. Some like clean for days...there's plenty of room for all tastes and the name of the game means there'll probably be an offering to satiate that taste. You may have expensive taste...so long as nobody loses an eye, that's cool. Your budget may be tighter...that's cool...creativity is often enhanced by limitations (necessity, invention and mothers).

I like dudes who give a shit about the stuff they make rather than clutter the planet with crap...these current Magnatone dudes obviously care a LOT. I'd like to support more of these types of makers in all the aspects of my consumerist life...but, yadda yadda.
Last edited by clubhouse on Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:57 am I like dudes who give a shit about the stuff they make rather than clutter the planet with crap...
I am so with you on that! :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.