The Fractal Audio Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

The Fractal Audio Thread

Post by Zaulkin »

Hey folks,

Some people have expressed interest in a Fractal Audio thread.

Let's use this thread for questions, sharing knowledge and good finds.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: The Fractal Audio Thread

Post by Voxshall »

griff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 am Whats ya setup man? Running it through FRFR? studio monitors? Power amp/cab?
I plan to run it through Yamaha HS7 monitors, HD650 headphones, Yamaha PA and the return FX loop of my Two Rock Bloomfield Drive. I'm guessing one would need to change the global eq to optimise the sound running into each of these applications, anyone have tips or experience with this and is it possible to create presets to have it ready to go with a press of a button when transitioning from one application to another?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Voxshall wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 pm
griff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 am Whats ya setup man? Running it through FRFR? studio monitors? Power amp/cab?
I plan to run it through Yamaha HS7 monitors, HD650 headphones, Yamaha PA and the return FX loop of my Two Rock Bloomfield Drive. I'm guessing one would need to change the global eq to optimise the sound running into each of these applications, anyone have tips or experience with this and is it possible to create presets to have it ready to go with a press of a button when transitioning from one application to another?
How I set things up is I use the standard method of sending the main signal with cab block turned on to Out 1, and a signal with the cab block turned off to 1/4 inch Out 2. When I am at home I usually jam through my monitors. When I play live I use a power amp and either my own cab or a borrowed one from the venue. I have separate live patches that are tweaked to suit my cab. Most of the time I expect to just use a cab as this is easiest but the XLRs are ready to go if there were any issues.

So using this method you could connect to all of those applications you mentioned without needing separate patches. If you wanted to have different settings for each you could set up EQ in line with each output or use scenes to change things up.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

Zaulkin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:49 pm
How I set things up is I use the standard method of sending the main signal with cab block turned on to Out 1, and a signal with the cab block turned off to 1/4 inch Out 2. When I am at home I usually jam through my monitors. When I play live I use a power amp and either my own cab or a borrowed one from the venue. I have separate live patches that are tweaked to suit my cab. Most of the time I expect to just use a cab as this is easiest but the XLRs are ready to go if there were any issues.

So using this method you could connect to all of those applications you mentioned without needing separate patches. If you wanted to have different settings for each you could set up EQ in line with each output or use scenes to change things up.
Thanks for the explanation, so in my setup I'd run my HS7 monitors, HD650 phones and Yamaha P.A with the same Cab Block and they should all sound equally great with that no eq needed and then when I run the FM3 into my Two Rock I use output 2 with Cab Block turned off.

I had the impression you need to eq specifically to different sets of headphones, Monitors or PA systems.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

If running through fx return you will need to adjust a few things.

- In the speaker tab set it to SS amp and cab instead of FRFR.

-Turn down Speaker time constraint to zero. Turn off speaker Drive, Speaker Compliance and Speaker Compression.

- Turn off power amp modeling. This is a personal preference thing. You my like the sound of it more being ON

- Also in the speaker settings have a play with the impedance curves. Bring down the high end if its sounding artificial.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

griff wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:06 pm
If running through fx return you will need to adjust a few things.

- In the speaker tab set it to SS amp and cab instead of FRFR.

-Turn down Speaker time constraint to zero.

- Turn off power amp modeling. This is a personal preference thing. You my like the sound of it more being ON

- Also in the speaker settings have a play with the impedance curves. Bring down the high end if its sounding artificial.
Great tips Griff, I'm a complete noob so don't no for sure but doesn't the FM3 have a fixed Impedance curve setting?

A few more questions.

- I want to set up my live presets as simple as possible but does this mean I lose the ability to save my experimental tones or can I have two seperate footswitch setups one for band stuff and the other for messing around?
- Do you have to change settings to optimise for single coil guitars or humbuckers?
- Can I get an approximate Sitar sound out of the FM3 and what is the best way to achieve this?
- The issue I have had with modeling in the past is the lack of punch and aliveness compared to real amps has this improved with the newer modeling.
Last edited by Voxshall on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Voxshall wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:00 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks for the explanation, so in my setup I'd run my HS7 monitors, HD650 phones and Yamaha P.A with the same Cab Block and they should all sound equally great with that no eq needed and then when I run the FM3 into my Two Rock I use output 2 with Cab Block turned off.

I had the impression you need to eq specifically to different sets of headphones, Monitors or PA systems.
Yeah. You will need to see how each application sounds and adjust to taste. They probably won't be worlds apart but it depends how you are using them.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

- I want to set up my live presets as simple as possible but does this mean I lose the ability to save my experimental tones or can I have two seperate footswitch setups one for band stuff and the other for messing around?

Set up your live patch and make a backup. Then make another copy for mucking around. You can change the footswitch layout per preset to do whatever you want. Anything cool you find, save as a copy.

- Can I get an approximate Sitar sound out of the FM3 and what is the best way to achieve this?

I don't know about that one. Maybe check YouTube and play around with the pitch block. Or check axechange - someone may have made a sitar preset already.

- The issue I have had with modeling in the past is the lack of punch and aliveness compared to real amps has this improved with the newer modeling.

If you can't get the liveliness you speak of from monitors, your tworock FX return might be the ticket. Using a real power amp and cab can get you closer to that conventional guitar amp sound.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

Zaulkin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:31 pm

I don't know about that one. Maybe check YouTube and play around with the pitch block. Or check axechange - someone may have made a sitar preset already.

Awesome, I found some at axechange and also found out there is a factory preset in the FM3 called Raja Drone that does Sitar.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Voxshall wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 pmTwo Rock Bloomfield Drive.
Fapping begins.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:25 pm
Fapping begins.
That's a lie.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:35 pm
Fapping begins.
That's a lie.
Typing with left hand right now.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:39 pm
robthemac wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Fapping begins.
That's a lie.
Typing with left hand right now.
I meant that you only began when reading about Jamie's amp.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

My band wanted to hear what our song would be like if we used 7 or 8 string guitars. I chucked the whole track into reaper and processed it with the pitch block using the drop tune (virtual capo). Pretty impressed at how well that worked.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

FM3 arrived today, I just tried it using headphones scrolling presets I was impressed with the Marshall and Vox tones, and a little disappointed with the Dumble tones. Sounds good enough to inspire song writing and enjoy headphone playing. I was going to run it through my apogee Duet into monitors next but having issues accessing the apogee software and I don't have easy access to the cables to go direct into the monitors. Hopefully I'll get time to run it through my amp after work.