NAD - Fender 57 Custom Deluxe with Hum

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: NAD - Fender 57 Custom Deluxe with Hum

Post by k1w1 »

They don't have to be noisy, the one MikeC made for me is quiet as a church mouse, no hum at all. Maybe chat with him might sort it, he seems to know the circuit well.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Dano_NZ wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:55 pm
goldtop0 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:02 am Yours might be the only one in the country?
Did you bring it into NZ yourself or did you get it secondhand locally.
Special import.

The one I played was at Akld Rockshop was 2nd hand and had been bought into the country by the guy who had a heap of customshop guitars there that he'd sold on to them. Yours might be #2 on that basis.
The Fender agents based in the Hawkes Bay didn't bring any of the '57 Customs into NZ I don't think.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Dano_NZ »

Bit of an update.
I noticed that touching the control plate and the back panel seemed to quieten the hum. I initially thought it was my body creating some sort of grounding (probably was). I then tried a wire from the chassis to the bolt that attaches the tube cage to the back panel, see below. That worked!

I then reattached the ground wire which initially just screwed to the ply back panel to the tube cage, see below. Hum solved!

I still don’t know why this would work as the conductive properties of ply I imagine are minimal and the cage is not that big. Anyway happy that it does and I'm now wondering if it’s worth lining the back panel with copper tape.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »

Dano_NZ wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:38 pm Anyway happy that it does and I'm now wondering if it’s worth lining the back panel with copper tape.
Yes - creates a faraday cage (within reason). Try to get it touching the entire rim of the chassis.

Lot of the higher end amps I’ve got have this, including heads (on the floor of the head cab). Don’t know why, as an amp manufacturer, you wouldn’t, given it costs bigger all.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

On my Tweed Deluxe 5E3 I put a grounded aluminium foil shield on the inside of the back cover (this is the cover over the component side of the chassis). I used a supermarket bought aluminium oven tray cut to fit. This reduced some hum/noise that was coming from my Wireless Access Point which is in my office/workshop. 50Hz EMF & RF noise goes straight thru plywood!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

wait. It was grounded - TO PLYWOOD?

crikey. Fender WTF

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:23 pm wait. It was grounded - TO PLYWOOD?

crikey. Fender WTF
No no, I built this amp and BG built the cab. The original 5E3 (from Fender) didn't have the shielding I have added. I expect WiFi RF wasn't much of an issue in the 50's (although mains hum would have been to some degree)! 50/60Hz EMF and WiFi RF goes straight through a plywood panel is what I'm pointing out.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Dano_NZ »

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of the oven tray great idea!