Speaker preferences

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Speaker preferences

Post by matman »

The Scumbacks that Higainer has in his Bogner oversized 2x12 are my all time favourites to date (as is that cab).
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Fender:
1) Eminence GA-SC64
2) Celestion E-Type
3) Celestion Creamback G12-65

Vox
1) Celestion Blue
2) Celestion Gold
3) Celestion Green
4) Celestion Blue/G12H mix

Marshall
1) Celestion G12H30
2) Celestion Greenback
3) Celestion V30/G12H mix

That’s the flavours I’ve been through and enjoyed
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:14 pm Nice, is the Fane modelled on a celestion blue? I'm thinking of getting the Weber DT10-P for my AC10 which is a blue like speaker they've developed for the amp :)
Had a listen to a demo with one and I think I just don’t get the blues kind of tone, think I’ll save $300 and keep the stock speaker!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm Out of curiosity, I sat down with a mate with audiophile ears and worked through my small collection of speakers. I have a default choice but it was time to look at it objectively.

In 1x12 cabs I have
Celestion Blue
Celestion G12H30
Fane Alnico 12
An ancient Jensen Special Design

Also have a 2x10 with Warehouse can't remember the model. (in band room).....G10?

Short answer, the Fane blew everything away. It's really articulate, piano like; the highs are clear and warm without any harshness. Tight botton end and just the right anount of mids to cut through a band. It was not only the best sounding speaker with the band, it was also the best sounding speaker in the lounge which seems to me an improbable feat.

Second best in the lounge was the Jensen. This thing is 60 years old and all its brightness has worn away. This makes it lovely with a Telecaster but I doubt humbuckers would be happy.

The combination of the G12 and the Blue come very close to the Fane but in a bigger, more cumbersome package without the Fane's 80watt power capability.

So there you have it. Can't remember who I got the Fane from, but thank you! It's my lifetime speaker, :D

IMG_3542.JPG
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does the speaker having been well broken in make a substantial difference? I know Matchless used to do something to 'pre-age' their speakers.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:07 pm
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does the speaker having been well broken in make a substantial difference? I know Matchless used to do something to 'pre-age' their speakers.
In my humble experience, definitely.

The transformation in hifi speakers can be extraordinary. In guitar speakers, the trebles often lose harshness. At the other extreme in really old speakers, the bass cam become somewhat flabby.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Not sure if there is much evidence for broken in speakers actually being better, but it is a thing. Marshall used to sell ore-aged greenbacks in the 1974X and 2061 cabs for instance. I have found that an Emi I had repaired seems to sound slightly stiffer/less compressed, possibly dude to the new cone, maybe just because it was fucked?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:17 pm Not sure if there is much evidence for broken in speakers actually being better, but it is a thing. Marshall used to sell ore-aged greenbacks in the 1974X and 2061 cabs for instance. I have found that an Emi I had repaired seems to sound slightly stiffer/less compressed, possibly dude to the new cone, maybe just because it was fucked?
In Hifi speakers, it's an improvement. In guitars, it's a change of voice. Personal preference applies.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:17 pm Not sure if there is much evidence for broken in speakers actually being better, but it is a thing. Marshall used to sell ore-aged greenbacks in the 1974X and 2061 cabs for instance. I have found that an Emi I had repaired seems to sound slightly stiffer/less compressed, possibly dude to the new cone, maybe just because it was fucked?
I did a pretty lengthy test, breaking in some greenbacks, blues, v30's and a gold with a variac, and keeping a set fresh, then A/B'ing with a switcher (essential) in the same cab. Got up to about 200 hours with some of them.

The initial change was huge, especially in the high end sizzle when using drive. Then diminishing returns after you get over 20 hours or so. I much preferred the broken in toan.

Interestingly, the EVM12-L didn't change at all.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:07 pm I know Matchless used to do something to 'pre-age' their speakers.
Matchless trick was to remove some of the doping ( shiny stuff round the outer part of the cone ) which made them softer and more flexible.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

My favourites are usually big, clean speakers.
EVM12L
Eminence EM12
Eminence Swamp Thang
Eminence Texas Heat

But I also like to mix in some grit from lower powered and lower sesitivity speakers like Greenback. My usual setup is an Eminence loaded cab with a Greenback loaded cab.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

My amp guy told me about Fanes years ago but I hadn't seen any around the place since the '80s when Anil at Rocket used them in his amps from time to time.
See they've currently got a limited range for guitar so it'd be interesting to know how these compare to the old ones.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

goldtop0 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 am My amp guy told me about Fanes years ago but I hadn't seen any around the place since the '80s when Anil at Rocket used them in his amps from time to time.
See they've currently got a limited range for guitar so it'd be interesting to know how these compare to the old ones.
If you get yourself a new one, I can provide the older one.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Saw a vid of the A60 alnico Fane and it sounded very much like a Blue, the Gold has a darker sound.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Voxshall wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:33 pm Awesome Slowy, have you tried a Jensen Blackbird 100watt or WGS Blackhawk HP? Big power alnico.
Never met them. This is the only High power Alnico I've tried.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:55 am
Voxshall wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:33 pm Awesome Slowy, have you tried a Jensen Blackbird 100watt or WGS Blackhawk HP? Big power alnico.
Never met them. This is the only High power Alnico I've tried.
You should buy the Blackbird, use it for a month and then sell it to me.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.