Do I finally get Fender amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Do I finally get Fender amps?

Post by MattAnt »

Lots of good thoughts in here! I think speaker may also be a very big part of it all, have never had the patience to change speakers in them. Wonder what was in that Achilles.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

null_pointer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Mike knows what he’s talking about. Matt, I need to lend you this DR I picked up at some point, it’s exactly what I wanted. The bright switch sorts the ice pick issue, and the more mids lead channel is pedal nirvana. Really happy with it, have a Eminence GA in it and it’s exactly what I had in my head. The Badcat might be in the bleachers for a while…
Is that my old cub? If so and if it needs a new home…
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

null_pointer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Mike knows what he’s talking about. Matt, I need to lend you this DR I picked up at some point, it’s exactly what I wanted. The bright switch sorts the ice pick issue, and the more mids lead channel is pedal nirvana. Really happy with it, have a Eminence GA in it and it’s exactly what I had in my head. The Badcat might be in the bleachers for a while…
I'm really glad to know that you're happy with the DR. Have you played it in a band mix yet?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

MikeC wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 am
I'm really glad to know that you're happy with the DR. Have you played it in a band mix yet?
Taking it out for a whirl today actually, I’ll keep you posted.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

null_pointer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Really happy with it, have a Eminence GA in it and it’s exactly what I had in my head.
Would that be the GA-SC64? I'm thinking of trying the 10" version in my Princeton. Currently has a 12" Jensen but I've never been convinced it was a good match for this amp.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Starfire wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:59 am
null_pointer wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Really happy with it, have a Eminence GA in it and it’s exactly what I had in my head.
Would that be the GA-SC64? I'm thinking of trying the 10" version in my Princeton. Currently has a 12" Jensen but I've never been convinced it was a good match for this amp.
Yep that’s it. Great match, and for the money I suspect the best option going.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

There's also a 10" GA-SC59 alnico but they're hellish expensive. Haven't heard one broken in but my brand new one sounded sweet in a recent PR build. The new owner of the PR in question had his own speaker so the GA-SC59 is now sitting in my cupboard in a box :shh:
Last edited by MikeC on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Fender amp good

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

OK, i'll bite: what does an Alnico speaker do in a PR that a Jensen C10Q doesnt ? Enjoying the PR btw mike but find it way better suited to my 73 Starfire with Guild HB1 humbuckers than it is to my Strat....

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:50 pm OK, i'll bite: what does an Alnico speaker do in a PR that a Jensen C10Q doesnt ? Enjoying the PR btw mike but find it way better suited to my 73 Starfire with Guild HB1 humbuckers than it is to my Strat....
Well it makes it cost more! Is the PR sounding a little thin with the Strat? What did your Supro speaker sound like in comparison?
Last edited by MikeC on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:50 pm Strat...
Ah, there's your problem.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Yeah the strat and the PR dont really gel imo, just too bright. (and I get the feeling an Alnico speaker magnet isnt going to fix that. Supro speaker and Jensen speaker are both ceramic and too close for me to tell apart without directly A:B ing. Supro in general was darker sounding so will be interested to try that with the strat on its return. Guild with the PR is excellent though. Has that real 60's Nuggets sound.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:50 pm OK, i'll bite: what does an Alnico speaker do in a PR that a Jensen C10Q doesnt ?
In general I find alnico speakers to have a certain amount of compression, leading to a slightly softer/warmer attack - even though they can be very bright and cutting if you want. Then once you get really loud, they break up so that the actual distortion is a combination of preamp, power amp and speaker distortion. In comparison, ceramic speakers are cleaner and clearer, more dynamic and break up much later, or not at all.

if you like a Fender Mini-Twin vibe, I think ceramic is the way to go. If you are after vintage-y tweed vibe, alnico might be worth a try. I used to own a 4x10 Mesa cab with Alnico P10's. That cabinet sounded absolutely goddamn incredible, should never have sold it.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Alnico speakers are simply more dark chocolate.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:28 pm I used to own a 4x10 Mesa cab with Alnico P10's. That cabinet sounded absolutely goddamn incredible, should never have sold it.
There is one on TradeMe, I think its similar.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...