Do I finally get Fender amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Do I finally get Fender amps?

Post by Conway »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:20 am That is very nice...

I'm trying to decide whether to sell my Lonestar and buy a Koch "The Greg" or a Toneking or to get something like this to go with the Lonestar.
I like options 2 or 3.... :D
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GrantB wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:38 am Fender Princeton tone controls are very “strong” if that makes sense
Yeah, don't be afraid to turn things down to 1 or 2.

Of course, Anvil Amps Alan could do a little tweak on it very easily.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Rather than "clip" the bright cap on a DR you can install a mini toggle switch and have the choice of both worlds. Bright cap is only on the Vibrato channel of the DR (NOT on the Normal channel). Many of the bigger Blackface amps have a bright cap/switch on both channels - far more sensible IMO. You can install a bright switch on the front panel (unless it's a vintage amp of course) or hide it round back somewhere. I do it on my DR builds.
Bright Switch.jpg
Bright Switch.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

MattAnt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am
So all this time have I just needed to clip the bright cap on other Fender amps? Or is the Vibrolux the Fender for me?

Chime in with your thoughts on the matter!
Or turn the volume up to the point where the bright cap isn't doing much?

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

MikeC wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:52 am Rather than "clip" the bright cap on a DR you can install a mini toggle switch and have the choice of both worlds. Bright cap is only on the Vibrato channel of the DR (NOT on the Normal channel). Many of the bigger Blackface amps have a bright cap/switch on both channels - far more sensible IMO. You can install a bright switch on the front panel (unless it's a vintage amp of course) or hide it round back somewhere. I do it on my DR builds.
Bright Switch.jpg
Yes I like the idea of putting it on a switch
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

If you don't want to drill the front panel then a push/pull Pot can also be used.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

That's why I like my Rivera, not as ice picky as a Fender but it also has a push/pull pot on the treble to add brightness.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

murky wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:15 pm
MattAnt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am
So all this time have I just needed to clip the bright cap on other Fender amps? Or is the Vibrolux the Fender for me?

Chime in with your thoughts on the matter!
Or turn the volume up to the point where the bright cap isn't doing much?
I've always preferred the bigger iron Fender amps which come with a bright switch but you are correct Matt with your observation. A Twin sounds great with the bright switch engaged for clean low volume playing but engage a fuzz or drive and it turns plain nasty. Turn off the Bright switch and it's great again. As Murky says, if you raise the volume sufficiently the Bright function does FA.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

MattAnt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:16 am Have always struggled with Fender amps. Bought and sold a couple of DRRI and PRRI, and a plenty of boutique flavours of the same. Always moved them quickly and decided I was more of a Vox guy.

I think some people just don't dig certain flavours, and that's all good! I have never got along with a Bassman or Vox. I think a lot of the old designs are sonically pretty flawed, and some of the more liberal modern interpretations sound better to my ears.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

The breakup of a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb is a bit of an acquired taste, I think. And I guess these amps were never really designed to play nicely with pedals.
Last edited by Starfire on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I never got fender amps until I tried tweed :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

I've got one of the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs. It's got a Celestion V-type speaker as standard which probably helps avoid ice-pick highs. Having 2 channels with different voicings seems to work fairly well but I normally stick to the vintage channel.

Set at treble 6, bass 4 it gives a nice fat clean. I've not tried many dirt pedals with it, but it seems to play nicely with my Klone.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I personally think it’s a lot to do with negative feedback and speaker choice. I’ve always struggled with Fender amps not due to the tone but the response under my fingers when playing, Vox type amps have less or no negative feeeback which is a big part of it. 5e3 Deluxe has no/little feedback and I also like them.
2 Modern fenders I’ve played and liked are the 68 Deluxe and the 68 Twin reverb, both have V Type speakers and reduced negative feedback. Just my opinion not based on any hard evidence or anything.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Mike knows what he’s talking about. Matt, I need to lend you this DR I picked up at some point, it’s exactly what I wanted. The bright switch sorts the ice pick issue, and the more mids lead channel is pedal nirvana. Really happy with it, have a Eminence GA in it and it’s exactly what I had in my head. The Badcat might be in the bleachers for a while…

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Bg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:09 pm I never got fender amps until I tried tweed :)
Id like a tweed head at some point, i know its not metal, but when i had the Katana, the tweed patches were one of my start points..