Second amp for stereo?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: Second amp for stereo?

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:40 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:36 pm Princeton all the way. Clean, not too loud, fantastic reverb and trem. I have considered getting another for a stereo vibe.
Yummo!!! Is that an original?
1973 - NZ tranny, and has a Weber speaker which transformed this amp. I also use a Nightlight Jnr to keep volume at lower levels...Princetons have a fair bit of push for little-ish things.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:36 pm Princeton all the way. Clean, not too loud, fantastic reverb and trem. I have considered getting another for a stereo vibe.
1973 - NZ tranny, and has a Weber speaker which transformed this amp. I also use a Nightlight Jnr to keep volume at lower levels...Princetons have a fair bit of push for little-ish things.
Birth year amp for me, how perfect!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm

Birth year amp for me, how perfect!
Birth year AND tranny - squealz!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 654 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm Marshall Plexi 20watt - 1x10, el34, sounds killer
The origin 20w is kinda appealing!
fuck that. or at least the origin cabs which are pretty cheaply made. this is the amp : https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/prod ... udio/sv20c

I'm seriously considering getting one.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm Marshall Plexi 20watt - 1x10, el34, sounds killer
The origin 20w is kinda appealing!
fuck that. or at least the origin cabs which are pretty cheaply made. this is the amp : https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/prod ... udio/sv20c

I'm seriously considering getting one.
Origin 20 was sorely disappointing to my ears. Love an SV20 though!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Hard to beat a Vox + fender stereo pair.

Princeton would be perfect
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Thanks for the feedback lads, I’ve always wanted to build my own amp so I think a Princeton build will be on the cards!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by NZTone.e »

I would have thought a stereo rig would work best from two identical amps? Otherwise you don’t have a true left and right…different amps would make a good wet/dry rig, but I’m sure there’s lots of reasons to do the same in a stereo setup…

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

NZTone.e wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:54 am I would have thought a stereo rig would work best from two identical amps? Otherwise you don’t have a true left and right…different amps would make a good wet/dry rig, but I’m sure there’s lots of reasons to do the same in a stereo setup…
Its mainly to get some different colours going on, stereo just for ease of use, the amps will probably live on top of each other :mental:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I guess saying "Katana" has lost it zing these days :lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

NZTone.e wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:54 am I would have thought a stereo rig would work best from two identical amps? Otherwise you don’t have a true left and right…different amps would make a good wet/dry rig, but I’m sure there’s lots of reasons to do the same in a stereo setup…
You still have true left and right even with two different amps. They just sound different. It makes it a whole lot more interesting to listen to. Probably harder to mix in a live situation, but in my lounge they're set up just perfect.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 871 times

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:24 am Thanks for the feedback lads, I’ve always wanted to build my own amp so I think a Princeton build will be on the cards!
Sing out if you want any advice or help building that Princeton Reverb-Amp. I've built quite a few!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

A Fender Pro Jr just sold on TM for $500. Good buying. Not a Princeton, but you couldn't make one for that.
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:24 am Thanks for the feedback lads, I’ve always wanted to build my own amp so I think a Princeton build will be on the cards!
Sing out if you want any advice or help building that Princeton Reverb-Amp. I've built quite a few!
Hey Mike - I've built pedals before, how much of a jump is building an amp in terms of required skills/knowledge?
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 am
For simplicities sake I was thinking along the lines of this: https://robrobinette.com/AA1164_Princet ... eleted.htm

Given I only use pedal reverb and trem and the build would be far simpler, thoughts?