Second amp for stereo?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Re: Second amp for stereo?

Post by MikeC »

Miza wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:22 am
MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:24 am Thanks for the feedback lads, I’ve always wanted to build my own amp so I think a Princeton build will be on the cards!
Sing out if you want any advice or help building that Princeton Reverb-Amp. I've built quite a few!
Hey Mike - I've built pedals before, how much of a jump is building an amp in terms of required skills/knowledge?
Building an amp kit would be the next step after pedals IMO. The Trinity ones I've made have very good instructions and pics. It's definitely a few steps up though. And much scarier when first powering up!!!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 am
Miza wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:22 am

Sing out if you want any advice or help building that Princeton Reverb-Amp. I've built quite a few!
Hey Mike - I've built pedals before, how much of a jump is building an amp in terms of required skills/knowledge?
Building an amp kit would be the next step after pedals IMO. The Trinity ones I've made have very good instructions and pics. It's definitely a few steps up though. And much scarier when first powering up!!!
And more deadly I guess too. I might stick to 9V for a while yet, but eventually I'd like to try a kit.
Nothing to see here.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:24 am Thanks for the feedback lads, I’ve always wanted to build my own amp so I think a Princeton build will be on the cards!
For simplicities sake I was thinking along the lines of this: https://robrobinette.com/AA1164_Princet ... eleted.htm

Given I only use pedal reverb and trem and the build would be far simpler, thoughts?
Yep, easier and cheaper for sure. I could make you the required turret board but you'd need to get a chassis or fabricate your own. Here's a thought, you can purchase a "correct" PR chassis so you could always build this amp in that chassis and build a full blown PR In it later on!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7686 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:35 am

For simplicities sake I was thinking along the lines of this: https://robrobinette.com/AA1164_Princet ... eleted.htm

Given I only use pedal reverb and trem and the build would be far simpler, thoughts?
Yep, easier and cheaper for sure. I could make you the required turret board but you'd need to get a chassis or fabricate your own. Here's a thought, you can purchase a "correct" PR chassis so you could always build this amp in that chassis and build a full blown PR In it later on!
:thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:46 am

And BG can make you a kick-arse pine combo cab. Righto that's it then - Sold!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 am
Where would you source chassis and small parts etc? I see Mojotone sell them or Tube Amp Doctor etc..
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:02 am

Where would you source chassis and small parts etc? I see Mojotone sell them or Tube Amp Doctor etc..
Yep, them or Amplified Parts and others. There's an Ebay vendor "zachmdhunter" that sells the best priced chassis (in my experience to date) and you'd need the Blackface front & rear panels (Mojotone and others). I can provide a "Princeton Reverb-Amp" lettering decal which I make (see attached pic). You'll need PT & OT (transformers) which I can source. I can quote you to secure all of the components, transformers and supply the decal. You can source your own tubes, chassis and blackface plates. You'll need 600V hook-up wire too (which I can supply as I stock it)!
Series II PR Decal  on Amp Closeup.jpg
Series II PR Decal on Amp Closeup.jpg (497.46 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Series II PR Decal.jpg
Series II PR Decal.jpg (699.1 KiB) Viewed 1519 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:08 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:02 am

Yep, them or Amplified Parts and others. There's an Ebay vendor "zachmdhunter" that sells the best priced chassis (in my experience to date) and you'd need the Blackface front & rear panels (Mojotone and others). I can provide a "Princeton Reverb-Amp" lettering decal which I make (see attached pic). You'll need PT & OT (transformers) which I can source. I can quote you to secure all of the components, transformers and supply the decal. You can source your own tubes, chassis and blackface plates. You'll need 600V hook-up wire too (which I can supply as I stock it)!
Series II PR Decal on Amp Closeup.jpg
Series II PR Decal.jpg
Thanks Mike!! I'll do some research and get back to you :)

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

You could also buy a second hand VHT Ultra and rewire it

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

NZTone.e wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:54 am I would have thought a stereo rig would work best from two identical amps? Otherwise you don’t have a true left and right…different amps would make a good wet/dry rig, but I’m sure there’s lots of reasons to do the same in a stereo setup…
It is actually better to have some difference in the amps. If the sound is identical in each channel the stereo spread is very narrow. Introduce some stereo effects and it widens as the sound of each changes. If the amps are different (but complimentary, and even in volume ideally), then the stereo spread is wider and more interesting before you even add stereo effects.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

MattAnt wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm
NZTone.e wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:54 am I would have thought a stereo rig would work best from two identical amps? Otherwise you don’t have a true left and right…different amps would make a good wet/dry rig, but I’m sure there’s lots of reasons to do the same in a stereo setup…
It is actually better to have some difference in the amps. If the sound is identical in each channel the stereo spread is very narrow. Introduce some stereo effects and it widens as the sound of each changes. If the amps are different (but complimentary, and even in volume ideally), then the stereo spread is wider and more interesting before you even add stereo effects.
I'm hoping for a Tweed / Blackface stereo rig for this reason.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I'm always happy picking and choosing with the Helix.... can do some nice whacked out combos, princeton reverb with mesa etc

Else in real amp world, tweed deluxe with tweed vibrolux sound like an awesome combination - nice swampy trem on the vibrolux provides enough of a difference.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Thinking of a 5F2A princeton build perhaps, fundamentally a champ with a tone control... but run a 10" speaker in it... especially when you can get tone like this:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Like this? - I built this 5F2A in 2019 with a "bedroom" volume attenuator built in! Cab by BG. Sounded great :)
Attachments
Front+speaker.jpg
Front+speaker.jpg (626.03 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Gutshot+speaker.jpg
Gutshot+speaker.jpg (523.81 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Last edited by MikeC on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

MikeC wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:15 pm Like this? - built a 5F2A in 2019 with a "bedroom" volume attenuator built in! Cab by BG. Sounded great :)
Very nice!!!