Low Wall Voltage Tonight.....

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Low Wall Voltage Tonight.....

Post by murky »

Disclaimer: everything tells me my bull*hit meter should be maxing out right now......but it isn't......

Plinking around this evening, everything sounded a bit meh. Swap to more expensive guitar - nope. Different amps (all tube) - nope. Take pants off - no (surprised, because that normally fixes everything). Even the dog agreed, moved to another room, and started ripping wallpaper off the wall.

Then I noticed - wall voltage was 213-214v.

I know this because I purchased a voltage meter a couple of years ago. Having done so, I quickly concluded that wall voltage was pretty consistent (228-232v typically), and I couldn’t hear any difference with this variation. So, I filed that theory in the bull*hit bin and made peace with the $50 I just wasted.....but left the meter plugged in, hardly giving it a glance in the time since.......until now that is......

Hmmmmm.....

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 869 times

Re: Low Wall Voltage Tonight.....

Post by MikeC »

murky wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:15 pm Disclaimer: everything tells me my bull*hit meter should be maxing out right now......but it isn't......

Plinking around this evening, everything sounded a bit meh. Swap to more expensive guitar - nope. Different amps (all tube) - nope. Take pants off - no (surprised, because that normally fixes everything). Even the dog agreed, moved to another room, and started ripping wallpaper off the wall.

Then I noticed - wall voltage was 213-214v.

I know this because I purchased a voltage meter a couple of years ago. Having done so, I quickly concluded that wall voltage was pretty consistent (228-232v typically), and I couldn’t hear any difference with this variation. So, I filed that theory in the bull*hit bin and made peace with the $50 I just wasted.....but left the meter plugged in, hardly giving it a glance in the time since.......until now that is......

Hmmmmm.....
That's extremely low. I'm normally high at 245 which has it's own issues. You on the grid? :lol:
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

MikeC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:20 pm
That's extremely low. I'm normally high at 245 which has it's own issues. You on the grid? :lol:
House - yes. Me - not so sure sometimes.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Check some other power points all round the house. Are they the same?

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

MikeC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:27 pm Check some other power points all round the house. Are they the same?
Even worse - most around 211v now!

Not suprising.....it is pretty cold up here in Auckland :lol:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Time to play some Van Halen I guess? You won't even need a variac haha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

murky wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 pm
MikeC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:27 pm Check some other power points all round the house. Are they the same?
Even worse - most around 211v now!

Not suprising.....it is pretty cold up here in Auckland :lol:
Jeez, must be all those EV's charging along with the heat pumps cranked! Just checked mine at 241V - lowish for my house.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

godgrinder wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:38 pm Time to play some Van Halen I guess? You won't even need a variac haha.
Would that work or do you need to set it for US voltage and take it down from there?

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Molly wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:57 pm
godgrinder wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:38 pm Time to play some Van Halen I guess? You won't even need a variac haha.
Would that work or do you need to set it for US voltage and take it down from there?
Yeah, you can do it at 230v - the reduction's just proportionate. The step most people miss is re-biasing the power tubes at the lower voltage....and making sure someone doesn't then plug it back into full wall voltage......

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

murky wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:15 pm Take pants off - no (surprised, because that normally fixes everything).
It wont fix the sound, but at least you don't have to use a strap. Free guitar stand!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3482 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Interesting that you spotted it. Stormy weather out your way then?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

murky wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:06 pm
Molly wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:57 pm
Yeah, you can do it at 230v - the reduction's just proportionate. The step most people miss is re-biasing the power tubes at the lower voltage....and making sure someone doesn't then plug it back into full wall voltage......
I have a Suhr SL68 on my bucket list. It does the variac / re-bias thing itself.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Molly wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:49 am
I have a Suhr SL68 on my bucket list. It does the variac / re-bias thing itself.
Yeah, I chased the 12000 thing a while back and ended up keeping a Bray 4550. The Variac thing is a cool trick, but was more like a cherry on top of an already killer cake/icing. A good 12000, with everything on 10 and the right EL43’s, is actually all you really need. The Bray can switch from GZ34 to SS rectification - the GZ34 gives a bit of softness/sag similar to variac, but I rarely find myself using it.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Check the voltage in the main fuse box where it entered the house. If it is low there then report it to the supplier.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Stripe's back.....

Things were sounding a little like unwashed men’s undies tonight. Have been using the same amp/gat all week, and it’s been sounding fab, so the change was quite obvious.

Grabbed the volt meter from the other room, and wadda you know - 216v! [EDIT - voltage in on Meter Box also reading ~216v]

Did a bit of experimenting:
  • The change is most noticeable with p90’s - specifically reduced clarity on the neck pickup, and a lot less dynamic range.
  • Single coils - I think there was a difference - but wouldn’t bet the first born.
  • Buckers - nadda - sounded pretty normal.
Gonna re-locate a voltage conditioner/regulator I've got, and report back......