Low Wall Voltage Tonight.....

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Low Wall Voltage Tonight.....

Post by GrantB »

You may need to move!!

Now, I'm wondering what mine is...will test when I finally get my TC15 trannies wired up.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

murky wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:46 pm Stripe's back.....

Things were sounding a little like unwashed men’s undies tonight. Have been using the same amp/gat all week, and it’s been sounding fab, so the change was quite obvious.

Grabbed the volt meter from the other room, and wadda you know - 216v! [EDIT - voltage in on Meter Box also reading ~216v]

Did a bit of experimenting:
  • The change is most noticeable with p90’s - specifically reduced clarity on the neck pickup, and a lot less dynamic range.
  • Single coils - I think there was a difference - but wouldn’t bet the first born.
  • Buckers - nadda - sounded pretty normal.
Gonna re-locate a voltage conditioner/regulator I've got, and report back......
Have you checked V when things are sounding fab perchance?

In our practice room, the humidity and atmospheric pressure seem to play a huge part in how we sound and changes from one week to the next it seems. Might be worth considering......?
I'd hate for Stripe to get the blame unnecessarily. (nothing to do with the fact he was my favorite!!)

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »

IMOCD wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:21 pm
Have you checked V when things are sounding fab perchance?

In our practice room, the humidity and atmospheric pressure seem to play a huge part in how we sound and changes from one week to the next it seems. Might be worth considering......?
I'd hate for Stripe to get the blame unnecessarily. (nothing to do with the fact he was my favorite!!)
Yeah, the voltage thingy is normally plugged in, and it's usually a non-issue: everything sounds good, have a look every now-and-then out of curiosity, and it's always pretty close to 230v. Dismissed it as "myth busted" ages ago to be honest. Until the other night that is, when things were sounding sh*tty. I actually think it's really interesting that there might be a scientific explanation for something I think I'm hearing/feeling.

I've noticed the wet rainy day thing too - figured it could be both affecting the gear and/or yourself/ears.