NAD (kinda) Marshall SC20

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

de_079
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 16 times

NAD (kinda) Marshall SC20

Post by de_079 »

Figured it's about time I lurked less & posted more, and what better time than this?

Bought this amp a few days ago and I'm really pleased with it. Wanted something with the 800 sound for home use a while ago, and the 5w setting gets it done at a volume I can use without bothering neighbours or waking up the kids. Boosts really nicely with either a RAT or Crowther Hotcake. Might have to grab an SD-1 at some stage to see how that sounds.

Haven't had the time to get into the FX loop yet, I'm still just getting the basic EQ to taste with my guitar and enjoying the basics. I don't really play clean, but I have to say the sound coming from that low sensitivity input is the closest I've ever come to being a clean tone enjoyer. Still, I wanted it for that Gibson into boosted 800 rhythm guitar tone, and it delivers perfectly.
Attachments
800_2.jpg
800_2.jpg (8.27 MiB) Viewed 2235 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: NAD (kinda) Marshall SC20

Post by jeremyb »

I had no idea this existed, cool amp man!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

de_079
Stagg
Stagg

Post by de_079 »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:35 pm I had no idea this existed, cool amp man!
Thanks - definitely recommend trying one out if your local Rockshop happens to be holding one. There's a combo version but I passed on that because I wasn't sold on the idea of the 10" speaker. Having tried this one first through a 2x12, I couldn't really believe that they've successfully voiced the combo for a single 10.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I want one :D

My favourite setting on my Bogner was 7 watts. Thats still punishingly loud through a decent cab...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Nice! It's that your home set up? What's the Orange next to it?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

de_079 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:06 pm Figured it's about time I lurked less & posted more, and what better time than this?

Bought this amp a few days ago and I'm really pleased with it. Wanted something with the 800 sound for home use a while ago, and the 5w setting gets it done at a volume I can use without bothering neighbours or waking up the kids. Boosts really nicely with either a RAT or Crowther Hotcake. Might have to grab an SD-1 at some stage to see how that sounds.

Haven't had the time to get into the FX loop yet, I'm still just getting the basic EQ to taste with my guitar and enjoying the basics. I don't really play clean, but I have to say the sound coming from that low sensitivity input is the closest I've ever come to being a clean tone enjoyer. Still, I wanted it for that Gibson into boosted 800 rhythm guitar tone, and it delivers perfectly.
Looks awesome! I had a DSL-1H for a while, which is kinda this but taken to the next level. Even at 1W it was enough to piss off the wife and neighbours. So nice being able to turn everything up and just use boost pedals, right!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

de_079
Stagg
Stagg

Post by de_079 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:13 pm
de_079 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:06 pm Figured it's about time I lurked less & posted more, and what better time than this?

Looks awesome! I had a DSL-1H for a while, which is kinda this but taken to the next level. Even at 1W it was enough to piss off the wife and neighbours. So nice being able to turn everything up and just use boost pedals, right!
Oh yeah, I'm the guy who bought your DSL1 (my old man picked it up from you while he was up north for some fishing, so I didn't get to meet you). Still have that amp, it's what gave me that desire for some Marshall goodness. I would have stuck just with that but once I saw this I just had to upgrade.

Previously even 5w would have been too loud for home but we turned a garage under the house into a proper room, so I have a nicely insulated man-bunker to play in now.

de_079
Stagg
Stagg

Post by de_079 »

hamo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:12 pm Nice! It's that your home set up? What's the Orange next to it?
Well, it's home setup for now due to lifestage. I used to use that Orange AD30 for live shows, practices etc. but over the last 8 or 9 years I've only had one short stint playing out. Between the home renos and then having a couple kids I'm still moving gradually back to having the spare time to do some jams again.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3485 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Rawk! Bet it rips, congrats

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

de_079 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Oh yeah, I'm the guy who bought your DSL1 (my old man picked it up from you while he was up north for some fishing, so I didn't get to meet you). Still have that amp, it's what gave me that desire for some Marshall goodness. I would have stuck just with that but once I saw this I just had to upgrade.

Previously even 5w would have been too loud for home but we turned a garage under the house into a proper room, so I have a nicely insulated man-bunker to play in now.
Haha classic. Apologies for not remembering. Are you keeping the DSL-1?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

de_079
Stagg
Stagg

Post by de_079 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Haha yeah no worries. No plans on selling it for now. Hoping for an afternoon jam with an old bandmate soon and for a simple sit down with a couple guitars the portability of the DSL1 is still a winner.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

de_079 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Haha yeah no worries. No plans on selling it for now. Hoping for an afternoon jam with an old bandmate soon and for a simple sit down with a couple guitars the portability of the DSL1 is still a winner.
As I said at the time, let me know if you decide to sell!

Glad to hear you didn't go down the Origin route. The two I played were pants.

de_079
Stagg
Stagg

Post by de_079 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:54 pm
de_079 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:53 pm

As I said at the time, let me know if you decide to sell!

Glad to hear you didn't go down the Origin route. The two I played were pants.
If it ever comes to pass, first dibs will be yours!

As far as the Origins go, I've only tried the OR20 head. On the very lowest power setting, cranked full on it had a decent kinda 70s glam/pre-punk rock overdrive sound (Stooges or Dead Boys kinda vibe) at gig volume. Ok for what it was I guess but not what I was after.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 654 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

de_079 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:04 pm Thanks - definitely recommend trying one out if your local Rockshop happens to be holding one. There's a combo version but I passed on that because I wasn't sold on the idea of the 10" speaker. Having tried this one first through a 2x12, I couldn't really believe that they've successfully voiced the combo for a single 10.

THERE IS A 20 WATT MARSHALL JCM800 COMBO WITH A 10 INCH SPEAKER?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 654 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Oh dude. I just found that there is a 20 watt plexi 1x10 combo too . . . .