NAD: not a Mesa

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: NAD: not a Mesa

Post by Mr Davison »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:26 pm
Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm

I want something that can do a Tweedy sort of clean, but without the nasal honky mids that many small Tweed rigs get. Open to more Blackface-style as well. Preferably with spring reverb and a trem (that doesn't tick!). Not fixed on wattage, would like something with enough headroom for small gigs. Built-in attenuation or power scaling is greatly preferred.

Tried a Mesa California Tweed in our local RS and fell in love with it. Need to get down to Auckland for a look at Conway's Tone King Falcon Grande. That Magnatone on TradeMe would go alright too.
Cool, just asked as I saw your Marshall 2061x reference (the ultimate self combusting amp unfortunately). I have a sale that's possibly falling thru but upon watching a Mesa cali tweed vid & your explanation... I have an amp completely opposite in every way to your desire!!
Good luck with the tweed
Yeah, my 2061 blew three transformers and wasn't exactly structurally sound. Glorious when dimed though. Probably why I kept blowing transformers. Wish I kept the cab.

What is it that you're selling, out of interest?
Well, don't tell anyone but I've got one of these...
IMG20210611232312.jpg
IMG20210611232312.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1567 times
Amazing amp but I just don't plug it in enough, still a bit torn on selling (as we do!). Volume is brutal. The model name is Ampzilla (fittingly). Bob Reinhardt's marshallesque take on a wreck apparently. Info beyond scarce on these.
Sonic mayhem unleashed

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Dumb question time. If the tubes are dodgy in the Rockshop Mesa, why do they not fix them? If they did would you buy it?
Greenstone Amplifiers

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 am Dumb question time. If the tubes are dodgy in the Rockshop Mesa, why do they not fix them? If they did would you buy it?
Presumed dodgy tubes. Strummers and I pointed it out to them almost two months ago. Wasn't fixed when I went in a month later. I offered to do a layby then, on the condition that they got it fixed, they said nah we'll get it fixed and get back to you. Also asked for some flexibility on price (just 10% off RRP).. Didn't get a reply to my most recent email asking about it.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:37 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:26 pm
Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 pm

Cool, just asked as I saw your Marshall 2061x reference (the ultimate self combusting amp unfortunately). I have a sale that's possibly falling thru but upon watching a Mesa cali tweed vid & your explanation... I have an amp completely opposite in every way to your desire!!
Good luck with the tweed
Yeah, my 2061 blew three transformers and wasn't exactly structurally sound. Glorious when dimed though. Probably why I kept blowing transformers. Wish I kept the cab.

What is it that you're selling, out of interest?
IMG20210611232312.jpg
Amazing amp but I just don't plug it in enough, still a bit torn on selling (as we do!). Volume is brutal. The model name is Ampzilla (fittingly). Bob Reinhardt's marshallesque take on a wreck apparently. Info beyond scarce on these.
Haha yeah not quite what I'm after. Looks cool though!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Were you looking for a dual rec at some point?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:29 am Were you looking for a dual rec at some point?
Nope, had a Rectoverb in the past. Tremoverb I'd consider maybe. Haven't played one in ten years, but have great memories.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 pm

California Tweed. There's one in my local Rockshop, but it's been sitting there with dodgy tubes and not a lot happening.
Sorry if you've already gone over this, but may I ask what basic qualities you're looking for in a new amp? & is combo or head format an issue? Wattage preference?
I want something that can do a Tweedy sort of clean, but without the nasal honky mids that many small Tweed rigs get. Open to more Blackface-style as well. Preferably with spring reverb and a trem (that doesn't tick!). Not fixed on wattage, would like something with enough headroom for small gigs. Built-in attenuation or power scaling is greatly preferred.

Tried a Mesa California Tweed in our local RS and fell in love with it. Need to get down to Auckland for a look at Conway's Tone King Falcon Grande. That Magnatone on TradeMe would go alright too.
The Goodsell sounds like it could do what you need
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

MattAnt wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:57 am
Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 pm

Sorry if you've already gone over this, but may I ask what basic qualities you're looking for in a new amp? & is combo or head format an issue? Wattage preference?

The Goodsell sounds like it could do what you need
Yeah, I thought that too. Just can't get to Auckland to try it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Post by Slowy »

IMG20210611232312.jpg
Dic..Scrotal Vice...Morbid Anal
Does Jb run this place?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:10 am

IMG20210611232312.jpg
Does Jb run this place?
Was honestly one of the more prestigious gigs I played. The flyer for that festival had a dude excreting out the band names... grindcore much 8)
Sonic mayhem unleashed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am

IMG20210611232312.jpg
Does Jb run this place?
Was honestly one of the more prestigious gigs I played. The flyer for that festival had a dude excreting out the band names... grindcore much 8)
Sounds like a diverse lineup.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:14 am
RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 am Dumb question time. If the tubes are dodgy in the Rockshop Mesa, why do they not fix them? If they did would you buy it?
Presumed dodgy tubes. Strummers and I pointed it out to them almost two months ago. Wasn't fixed when I went in a month later. I offered to do a layby then, on the condition that they got it fixed, they said nah we'll get it fixed and get back to you. Also asked for some flexibility on price (just 10% off RRP).. Didn't get a reply to my most recent email asking about it.
Thats the universe telling you loud and clear its not the amp for you!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

robthemac wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:32 am
Mr Davison wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am

Does Jb run this place?
Sounds like a diverse lineup.
Plenty of haunting/fond memories of that one! Like the solo artist sitting at the drum kit playing it with the bass guitar in his hands, thought it was going to be an instrumental set till he wedged a mic into the grille of the cricket batters hat he was wearing. Then there was the pioneering chap from Umbilical Tentacle who identifies as a llama, well before the trending of any they/them non binary identification movement. Decent fight broke out in the moshpit during our set, the victor emerged as a large aboriginal woman (gig was in oz) clutching a wooden spoon. Her domination of the fight was brutal & unquestionable, medical professionals scraping the unvictorious from the floor as we ground on. One of those privileged times you realize music is taking you somewhere...
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Wow. That's poor form by RS
Sonic mayhem unleashed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:50 am
Thats the universe telling you loud and clear its not the amp for you!!
I know! But it was only the second amp I've ever played that immediately felt right. It made me sound better than I am. And Even the boutique stuff never did that for me. How much is that worth? Probably about $4k.

On a related note, sadly there ain't nobody selling a 1974x these days.