NAD: not a Mesa

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

NAD: not a Mesa

Post by robthemac »

Well, this was unexpected.
IMG_20210611_193306.jpg
IMG_20210611_193306.jpg (7.81 MiB) Viewed 2184 times
Jops kindly let me his BlackStar Artisan 30 combo while the Rockshop are fixing the Mesa I want. Not at all what I wanted, but nice to try something different.

When I worked at the Rockshop as a kid, I couldn't stand these amps. Way fucking loud, no reverb, not enough gain. Also, seeing as the Rockshop didn't sell Vox, I didn't have any experience with AC-30 style amps, so it just sounded weird to my ears.

After a couple of weeks I've changed my mind slightly.

Negatives:

- Still way too loud. Even at 10W setting, which also dampens the treble too much.

- Still not enough gain. Most of my guitars have low output pickups. Even with the gain all the way up, it gets to a gentle crunch. Adding a boost in front makes it go unpleasantly fizzy.

- Still too heavy.

- Clean channel is bright to the point of sibilant.

- Channels aren't footswitchable.

Positives:

- I dig the EL-84 sound now. Used in stereo, it sits nicely with my Blackface-style VHT.

- The gentle crunch with the 'Warm' switch actually gets quite a nice bluesy JMP tone.

- Dirty channel with gain set just past halfway gets some compression without dirt, great for jazzy/country tones.

- I wish my old Marshall 2061x had the kind of build quality. Everything is rock solid.

- It would work great even as a 2x12 cab with Vintage 30s

- Cheap as chips. God bless the terrible resale value of Asian-made tube combos.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: NAD: not a Mesa

Post by Molly »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 pm God bless the terrible resale value of Asian-made tube combos.
LOL. Happy NAD.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

All your amps can be mesas.
TB.PNG
TB.PNG (596.55 KiB) Viewed 2174 times

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Sounds like it'd make a good pedal platform.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 pm Sounds like it'd make a good pedal platform.
It's a bloody good pedal platform. Better than my VHT.

One will probably go when a Mesa becomes available. which will be 2028 at this stage.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

JHorner wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:10 pm All your amps can be mesas.

TB.PNG
The strange thing is, I don't actually like Mesa's.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I’ve owned and played a number of blackstars but they just don’t do it for me, good for metal but I find the clean and low gain tones a bit lacklustre…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 pm Sounds like it'd make a good pedal platform.

One will probably go when a Mesa becomes available. which will be 2028 at this stage.
What mesa are you looking for?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:22 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 pm

What mesa are you looking for?
California Tweed. There's one in my local Rockshop, but it's been sitting there with dodgy tubes and not a lot happening.

Mr Davison
Squier
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Mr Davison »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 pm

California Tweed. There's one in my local Rockshop, but it's been sitting there with dodgy tubes and not a lot happening.
Sorry if you've already gone over this, but may I ask what basic qualities you're looking for in a new amp? & is combo or head format an issue? Wattage preference?
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Artisan 30 is a fantastic amp! Well matched with the V30. I was GASing over one of these combos for a year or two after they first came out. HNAD

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

How do these compare to the Laney Lionheart amps?
I've been looking for a smaller combo that's more portable than a half stack.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 pm

Sorry if you've already gone over this, but may I ask what basic qualities you're looking for in a new amp? & is combo or head format an issue? Wattage preference?
I want something that can do a Tweedy sort of clean, but without the nasal honky mids that many small Tweed rigs get. Open to more Blackface-style as well. Preferably with spring reverb and a trem (that doesn't tick!). Not fixed on wattage, would like something with enough headroom for small gigs. Built-in attenuation or power scaling is greatly preferred.

Tried a Mesa California Tweed in our local RS and fell in love with it. Need to get down to Auckland for a look at Conway's Tone King Falcon Grande. That Magnatone on TradeMe would go alright too.

Mr Davison
Squier
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Mr Davison »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm

I want something that can do a Tweedy sort of clean, but without the nasal honky mids that many small Tweed rigs get. Open to more Blackface-style as well. Preferably with spring reverb and a trem (that doesn't tick!). Not fixed on wattage, would like something with enough headroom for small gigs. Built-in attenuation or power scaling is greatly preferred.

Tried a Mesa California Tweed in our local RS and fell in love with it. Need to get down to Auckland for a look at Conway's Tone King Falcon Grande. That Magnatone on TradeMe would go alright too.
Cool, just asked as I saw your Marshall 2061x reference (the ultimate self combusting amp unfortunately). I have a sale that's possibly falling thru but upon watching a Mesa cali tweed vid & your explanation... I have an amp completely opposite in every way to your desire!!
Good luck with the tweed
Sonic mayhem unleashed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Cool, just asked as I saw your Marshall 2061x reference (the ultimate self combusting amp unfortunately). I have a sale that's possibly falling thru but upon watching a Mesa cali tweed vid & your explanation... I have an amp completely opposite in every way to your desire!!
Good luck with the tweed
Yeah, my 2061 blew three transformers and wasn't exactly structurally sound. Glorious when dimed though. Probably why I kept blowing transformers. Wish I kept the cab.

What is it that you're selling, out of interest?