Bored Sunday bidding war on Silverface Champ

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Re: Bored Sunday bidding war on Silverface Champ

Post by Dharmajester »

Saw that and thought someone would probably pay over the odds for it but imagined it being someone young and over optimistic :shock:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

I’d say yeah, over paid, but not by much, and give it a couple of years and that gap will disappear.

Nice amps. Even better with a tone circuit tweak. Original speakers on 70s (and a lot of 60s too) Fenders are shyte, so nice to see it gone.

Coin base RCA 6V6 was original for these. Not sure if that one is in it?

Enjoy it for what it is. I’ve gigged with my Supro 5watt before with a mic and it rocked.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Seller will be happy with that I reckon! https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... ?archive=1
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

GrantB wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:40 am I’d say yeah, over paid, but not by much, and give it a couple of years and that gap will disappear.

Nice amps. Even better with a tone circuit tweak. Original speakers on 70s (and a lot of 60s too) Fenders are shyte, so nice to see it gone.

Enjoy it for what it is. I’ve gigged with my Supro 5watt before with a mic and it rocked.
By tone circuit tweak do you mean a simple tone stack bypass on push pull to get tweed tones available?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Voxshall wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:46 am
GrantB wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:40 am I’d say yeah, over paid, but not by much, and give it a couple of years and that gap will disappear.

By tone circuit tweak do you mean a simple tone stack bypass on push pull to get tweed tones available?
Yep (but more to just bypass tho). But of course, play it as is first...it might be exactly what you wanted.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Voxshall wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:02 am
Bg wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:54 pm I have tweed, its just not vintage....
I've only tried two vintage tweed amps one in Australia and one in the States but didn't really gel with them at the time. I hardly ever see them in New Zealand but heard a guy in Tauranga has a few. I found the Victoria Champ way to dark, is yours a Deluxe?
I have a couple, one is a MikeC Deluxe build with a lightly distressed cab I made. And I have a Tweed Vibrolux I built myself, thats my favourite as swampy trem.

Vibrolux needs a knock every now and then due to a dodgy joint that I can be arsed looking for. Adds to its character. I'm sure I've posted pics.

But if not....
Vibrolux

Deluxe
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Wow BG that distressed cab looks incredible.

Well the amp arrived today and I'm pleased to report it's exceeded my expectations, definitely sounds vintage none of that tight strident tone I can't stand on some new amps, the bass sounds full for a small amp and stays tight all the way to 10 even with humbuckers, treble under 7.5 gives all the sparkle and no harshness, I'm sure the extra brightness will come in handy in a dampened room or when I get to crank it up. Feels great under the fingers good middle ground between fast attack and a bit of spongy bounce and not annoyingly dry without reverb. Definitely the best small amp I've ever heard.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

...and my amp hasnt arrived. somewhat miffed as I would have liked to play with it over the long weekend.