New Mesa Day

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: New Mesa Day

Post by GrantB »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:12 am
GrantB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:10 am Very nice - the only Mesa I ever played and went WOW. is our wall voltage not 230v?
Europe had a mix of 220v and 240v so a few years back in 1980 they standardised on 230v for the manufacture of appliances. The actual voltages at the wall didn't really changed much, although they are moving slowly towards the 230v standard.

The new standard stipulates a nominal 230 V, and the allowable voltage to the customer's point of supply is, as mentioned, +10% to –6%. However, the preferred operating range is +6% to –2%. (244 V to 225 V).

It varies throughout the country but its usually very close to 240v here in NZ despite the published 230v "nominal" spec.
Interesting, I wonder how many tube amps in NZ are affected by this? I’d guess there’s a lot. As you mention above, 10V difference at the mains equates to significantly more at the tubes.
So, what we’re saying is if we’re ordering a custom amp we should ensure it is set for 240v, despite the 230v standard?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

I am in a rural area and just measured our voltage as 241.6VAC. So if SB says that by switching TX to 240, the mesa circuit measurements are more accurately meeting design, then the answer must be yes.

Any others living in rural area a long way away from any (road) transformers? Interested to see what your supply voltage is...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

The timing is perfect...240v it is...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I would order 240v if it was an option.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:00 am The timing is perfect...240v it is...
What's on the way?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 am
What's on the way?
I’ll do a new thread...actually, need to make sure I have the cash given the vet bill that’s just presented :think:

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

GrantB wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:12 am
robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:04 am
What's on the way?
I’ll do a new thread...actually, need to make sure I have the cash given the vet bill that’s just presented :think:
Take that smelly old jazzmaster off your hands for you

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Traced the crackling down to a power valve pin, reflowed the solder in the valve pins and its gone :thumbup:

I have already ordered some 6L6's and a spare rectifier, handy to have around just in case.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

All Mesa's coming into NZ were wired for 230v from the dawn of time up until about 2014-2015 (I can't remember) not long before I left Rockshop.
At that time I asked Mesa to start supplying us with 240v as we had frequent minor issues with Mesa amps blowing fuses on power up. When amps are turned on, there is a "spike" of current inrush that was often just above the fuse's capability if the amp was wired for 230v.

Once they moved to the 240v tap, the issues more or less disappeared.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

How are you finding the this after a few months?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:05 pm How are you finding the this after a few months?
Really cool amp, the clean channel is about as good as you get if you want big Fender BF tones. Channel 2 takes a bit more tweaking, its essentially the same as CH1 but with more gain. It also has a "Drive" switch which adds in another gain stage allowing you to overdrive it further. There is .005uF cap on the input of the "Drive" stage and I have reduced that .0022uF which cuts a little low end when the "Drive" circuit is engaged. This makes it easier to dial in, as you don't need to back-off the Bass when you engage the drive switch now.

I have replaced the preamp valves, V1 with a Tung Sol and V2 with a Sovtek LPS, this brightened it up a bit and gave it a bit more clarity when pushed. I also put a set of Tung SOL 6L6GC's in the power section as the original valves were pretty old, this brightened it up a bit too. The reverb is really good but I use the Flint now as its more convenient.

It has an Output (MV) control which after the FX loop, so maintaining a low noise floor and sensible volumes is really easy despite it being 100W. I tend use the clean channel in 100W mode (SS rectifier by default) and the Drive Channel in 50W mode with the valve rectifier selected.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:23 am
robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:05 pm How are you finding the this after a few months?
Really cool amp, the clean channel is about as good as you get if you want big Fender BF tones. Channel 2 takes a bit more tweaking, its essentially the same as CH1 but with more gain. It also has a "Drive" switch which adds in another gain stage allowing you to overdrive it further. There is .005uF cap on the input of the "Drive" stage and I have reduced that .0022uF which cuts a little low end when the "Drive" circuit is engaged. This makes it easier to dial in, as you don't need to back-off the Bass when you engage the drive switch now.

I have replaced the preamp valves, V1 with a Tung Sol and V2 with a Sovtek LPS, this brightened it up a bit and gave it a bit more clarity when pushed. I also put a set of Tung SOL 6L6GC's in the power section as the original valves were pretty old, this brightened it up a bit too. The reverb is really good but I use the Flint now as its more convenient.

It has an Output (MV) control which after the FX loop, so maintaining a low noise floor and sensible volumes is really easy despite it being 100W. I tend use the clean channel in 100W mode (SS rectifier by default) and the Drive Channel in 50W mode with the valve rectifier selected.

Nice, good to hear you have improved the tone even more. Personally I really like the tweed mode on this amp...along with the tube rectifier, thus 50 or 10W. I'd like to hear that mod on the OD channel that cuts the bass a little, seems like a good idea.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'm thinking of selling it to fund another Laney Lionheart, I do miss my old one, I really only sold my Laney because they are not "in vogue" around these parts and I thought I was missing out. But then I'd miss the clean channel on this amp, its never easy is it :-(

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

:thumbup:
Attachments
images (4).jpeg
images (4).jpeg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
Loving it so far

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I'm gonna go on record and say I will never sell my Electra Dyne.

But I'd trade for a Soldano :D