The Kemper Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: The Kemper Thread

Post by hamo »

GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm
jimi wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 pm
GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 pm If I had a Kemper I'd find one tone I like and leave it there. Which is why I don't have a Kemper.
This might not be the thread for you then eh?
No, I want to chime in, without ever having played a note on a Kemper, and then describe why it doesn't work for me.

Isn't that how society works these days?
Well, yes.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 pm The other thing that I don't get with Kempers is all the shit with buying 'tone packs' every time I see one for sale it mentions it comes with $500 worth of custom sounds programmed by some YouTuber. Fuck, a Kemper is like 3+K, should you have to buy extra stuff to get a sound you like!????!!
When you buy a Kemper every other Kemper owner within a 10,000k radius sends you all the profiles they're enthusiastic about. The problem isn't having to buy them. It's having too many (and that MBritt didn't get paid...).

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:05 pm
GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 pm If I had a Kemper I'd find one tone I like and leave it there. Which is why I don't have a Kemper.
Me too. Even after hours of trying to dial in a modeller for a fender clean and a Marshall dirty, the tonal shift between the two is just weird. give me a breaking up Marshall tone, a volume knob, a hotcake and an analog-ish delay please!
I don't think it matters if you only use five or so profiles. That still justifies the price (the used price on a Kemper is no more than one run of the mill used Fender amp - ish).

Like the Strat tones in this:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Do the tones sound compressed? Digital, too perfect in any way?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm
jimi wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 pm
This might not be the thread for you then eh?
No, I want to chime in, without ever having played a note on a Kemper, and then describe why it doesn't work for me.

Isn't that how society works these days?
You’ve really got this internet thing nailed!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

It’s horses for courses innit, the kemper is an awesome tool if you want a bunch of boutique amps at your disposal, but overkill if you’re just happy with an off the shelf AC10 :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 am Do the tones sound compressed? Digital, too perfect in any way?
Honestly, Grant. I'd fail the Pepsi challenge. It just sounds, feels, responds, is dynamic etc. like amps to me. And I'm disabling the cab portion of the profile to account for running through my 412.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Molly wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:29 am
GrantB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 am Do the tones sound compressed? Digital, too perfect in any way?
Honestly, Grant. I'd fail the Pepsi challenge. It just sounds, feels, responds, is dynamic etc. like amps to me. And I'm disabling the cab portion of the profile to account for running through my 412.
Great. Now I do actually have to try one so I can, with authenticity, describe why it isn’t for me. I hope.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

A Kemper would be a blessing and a curse for me.

Blessing: I mostly try to play my favourite songs and don't really create music. Ergo I'm always trying to mimic the tone of everything from Sepultura to Zachary Breaux to Iron Maiden. (Ok I can't actually play anything by Breaux, but still). Having all those amps ready to dial up was always the allure of the Line 6 stuff, but in my budget range it never totally delivered. Although, that's probably down to...

Curse: I don't really understand tones. How to get them, how to dial stuff in, how it interplays together. I would always try tweaking stuff without ever really knowing what I was doing. Ergo, the endless tweaking and downloading of patches chasing something that sounded good. Then using through headphones and then that not sounding the same through a speaker etc. I am my own worst enemy, I need something on rails, and the Kemper could be that, but also has such deep tweakability (I believe) that I may get lost and not just play.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 am viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33157&p=744943&hilit=Kemper#p744943
This one you've posted in Molly...

and...
43 pages
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27880&p=618803&hilit=Kemper#p618803
Ah... Alzheimer's maybe? :oops:

JohnG
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by JohnG »

I've had a powered Kemper rack for about 4 years now and gigged with it ever since. For live use it's been a gamechanger for me...found 5 sounds I liked in the first week and that's all I use...no tweaking or mucking around programming...awesome! Use a Marshall 2x12 Cab for large venues, and a cheap 1x12 peavey cab for small ones. A Guitar Cab sounds great to my ears...XLR from back of Kemper to PA - soundguys love me :)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

JohnG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 am I've had a powered Kemper rack for about 4 years now and gigged with it ever since. For live use it's been a gamechanger for me...found 5 sounds I liked in the first week and that's all I use...no tweaking or mucking around programming...awesome! Use a Marshall 2x12 Cab for large venues, and a cheap 1x12 peavey cab for small ones. A Guitar Cab sounds great to my ears...XLR from back of Kemper to PA - soundguys love me :)
So you can disable the cab sim to your Marshall but keep it in place to the PA? Not that I have this problem (nothing but sheep to entertain where I live). But it'd make sense if that was possible.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I still half expect someone to release an app that'll interpret Kemper profiles and make the device itself completely redundant. That or a cheap tone-print style pedal that'll store enough for a gig. Can't think what's taking them so long. :-(

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:02 pm I still half expect someone to release an app that'll interpret Kemper profiles and make the device itself completely redundant. That or a cheap tone-print style pedal that'll store enough for a gig. Can't think what's taking them so long. :-(
Pocket Kemper eh?