The Kemper Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: The Kemper Thread

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Still love mine. I wish it was easier to operate, but totally worth the time investment.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:21 pm Still love mine. I wish it was easier to operate, but totally worth the time investment.
Hah! You're the first on the forum I have seen utter anything slightly negative about the UI/UX! Glad I'm not the only one :thumbup:

"Easier" is a relative term. What are you comparing it with? Another modelling thing or amp and pedals?

I find the Line 6 stuff easier to operate, and easier to download and try out new patches. The infinite variety of amps on Kemper (and the fact that many of them have to be purchased) makes sharing patches/tones a bit of a crap shoot.

I also think that the lack of digital recording interface on the Kemper is stupid/frustrating.

I still give them 11/10

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

codedog wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:20 pm
griff wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:14 pm
codedog wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:58 pm Still have my Kemper Stage. Still haven't really grown as accustomed to the UX as I had with my AX8. It's here to stay though, happy with all the things I need from it. Either that, or I just can't be arsed learning new UX/UI.

Low gain/edge of breakup is where I live too, either something tweedy, or Marshally. Playing through a Headrush 112.
How do you find the headrush?
It works okay for me. I used it for the AX8 too. The only complaints I have are... it's bloody loud and a smidge thumpy. Had to EQ that output slightly differently. TBH I probably would've been better with the 108.
Yeah I had one a couple years ago, and also thought it was just ok, quite bassy. Ended up selling it. I'm gonna give our bands RCF 32A monitors a go with it.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

griff wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:41 am
codedog wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:20 pm
griff wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:14 pm

How do you find the headrush?
It works okay for me. I used it for the AX8 too. The only complaints I have are... it's bloody loud and a smidge thumpy. Had to EQ that output slightly differently. TBH I probably would've been better with the 108.
Yeah I had one a couple years ago, and also thought it was just ok, quite bassy. Ended up selling it. I'm gonna give our bands RCF 32A monitors a go with it.
I've been tempted to sell it, but only so I can try other ones. Since that was the sole reason I have managed to resist the spending. We've had acoustic gearfest in Canterbury before. I'm tempted to suggest "digital/modelling" gearfest :winky:

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Some new features coming out soon for Kemper owners!
Check this out..
https://youtu.be/qMaxF-VzCQI

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

For those who don’t have time to watch the video:

- rig Manager Profiling Assistant (profiling through rig manager)

- builtin market place (with „tryout“ function)

- android support

- usb audio

- liquid profiling (this sounds huge. A moddeling module, that lets you recreate the controls of the original amp. you can even apply it to existing profiles if you still know the settings it was profiled at)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Those are all extremely exciting! I have been wondering how they were going to bring the Kemper range closer to their modern competitors. Still, will wait to watch the video, and get more details of how these work, before getting too excited.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

The last one is fantastic. Modelling systems that re-create the sound of an amp (or try to) but without the same controls as the original just feel off. What the fuck am I meant to do with a master volume and a mid control on a Deluxe Reverb model? It just adds to option paralysis and makes it harder to dial in an authentic tone.

Be interesting to see if they can nail down the controls for something really simple like a 5f1, or something deceptively complicated like a 5e3.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

I just love it how Kemper don't have to release a new unit every few years. They can accomplish so much with software updates.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

robthemac wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:45 am The last one is fantastic. Modelling systems that re-create the sound of an amp (or try to) but without the same controls as the original just feel off. What the fuck am I meant to do with a master volume and a mid control on a Deluxe Reverb model? It just adds to option paralysis and makes it harder to dial in an authentic tone.

Be interesting to see if they can nail down the controls for something really simple like a 5f1, or something deceptively complicated like a 5e3.
Something like 40 amps modeled currently with more being added over time. Mr Kemper did also say you can mix and match tone stacks with different amps.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

griff wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:56 am
robthemac wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:45 am The last one is fantastic. Modelling systems that re-create the sound of an amp (or try to) but without the same controls as the original just feel off. What the fuck am I meant to do with a master volume and a mid control on a Deluxe Reverb model? It just adds to option paralysis and makes it harder to dial in an authentic tone.

Something like 40 amps modeled currently with more being added over time. Mr Kemper did also say you can mix and match tone stacks with different amps.
I remember talking about this after the JHS Kemper video came out. The 'profiling' process does an incredible job modelling how the amp sounds in one specific setting. But it always seemed to miss a little bit of magic in how we control tube amps. You control the sounds in Kemper's framework, not in the framework of the original amp. There's something magic about a tone control on a Tweed, or a bass control on a Blackface that no modelling amp I've played has ever got right.

But I haven't played a Kemper so I should probably shut up :wave:
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

As far as selling new units, I expect kemper are feeling the pinch a bit. There is now a lot more competition. I expect them to be offering new functionality etc.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

AiRdAd wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:48 pm As far as selling new units, I expect kemper are feeling the pinch a bit. There is now a lot more competition. I expect them to be offering new functionality etc.
💯

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

It's like "Tonight Mathew I'm going to be....". The contestants often get really close to the actual artist and sound really good. I like clones, isnt that veird!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe