Anyone here making amp chassis' ?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Anyone here making amp chassis' ?

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

So after the gig yesterday and old friend of my folks asked me about my reverb tank. When I told him I'd built it myself some years ago he immediately asked if I'd make him one.

I thought then, well maybe I could but at the same time I might make a few.

From memory the trickyest part was sorting the chassis out. I think I used some enclosure and crudely cut it to work.

Would there be anyone here who would whip up a few small 6g15 chassis'?

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Anyone here making amp chassis' ?

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Try approaching your local High School Engineering Teacher, Schools have all the metal working gear. They may even be interested in using your project for young music Students.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Another option is to take some sketches to your nearest sheet metal shop. They get material at wholesale prices and can knock out an armful of simple chassis in an hour probably.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Local Mens Shed is another option....
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I have found a place that sells them for about $50 euro a pop with a chrome and printed face , and all the holes etc precut. Shipping is reasonable too. That might be an ok solution for a small number of builds.

The more I think about this project the more I like it.

When I built my tank, I spent a while going through various different designs and ended up melding a few together (including some different grounding to the original). What resulted was a whisper quiet platform and a really grrat sounding spring reverb. I think what I plan to do is reverse engineer that circuit and make 3-5 units at once. Might do them in real green tolex with a blue jewel light as a sort of Bull Kelp Surfers surf reverb unit.... The BKS 'Sea-Verb'. Could even see if there is interest on the forum or around generally to make a few more. I'll have to get my bill of materials together and work out what it's gonna cost. No looking to make profit out of it, just have fun.