More tremolux tremolo quandaries

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

More tremolux tremolo quandaries

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

So I thought I had this tremolo licked.
I've noticed that when the tremolo is engaged and especially as the intensity is dialled up I am loosing headroom/clarity and starting to get an unpleasant fizzy breakup. I didn't notice this when I was aukng gently testing it but with the amp set to gigging volume (still o my at 3-4 on volume with no boost ) it's quite noticable. I changed out the tremolo 12ax7 for a newbie but no change.
Any of the amp boffins got a suggestion on this one ?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Re: More tremolux tremolo quandaries

Post by GrantB »

Using a foot pedal? Is the wire properly grounded? Are the few caps and resistors in that part of the circuit in spec?

An aside question, when you dial it clean, and it starts to compress and distort, is it juicy and saggy or wasplike raspy?

What type of milk have you been consuming recently? Have you washed your car in the last two weeks?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

GrantB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 pm Using a foot pedal? Is the wire properly grounded? Are the few caps and resistors in that part of the circuit in spec?

An aside question, when you dial it clean, and it starts to compress and distort, is it juicy and saggy or wasplike raspy?

What type of milk have you been consuming recently? Have you washed your car in the last two weeks?
No foot pedal connected , tremolo functions with it 'on the whole time ' without a pedal connected.

Rachel raspy-pants

Fresh seal milk

You can wash a car?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

So without the trem, the clean sound still has an ugly saturation?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Have you tried it with a lower gain tube other than a 12ax7?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

GrantB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:08 pm So without the trem, the clean sound still has an ugly saturation?
Nope clean is good.
Trem is good until you push it a bit the. It gets a hairy frothy breakup that is not there with the trem off or intensity dialed down.
I wonder if there is a bung component in the trem circuit signal chain.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

NippleWrestler wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:22 pm Have you tried it with a lower gain tube other than a 12ax7?
I thought about that but I can't find an at7 in my stash.
If anyone coming to the gif on Sunday has one they want to bring and throw at us (instead of shoes, bottles and tomatoes ) I could throw money back at them?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1011 times

Post by bender »

I’ll have a look- I think I have one

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

EC Tremoluxes are a bit fizzy when dimed anyway, but...

I had an EC tremolux on the bench a couple of months ago with 'over fuzzy' distortion and a bit of loss of 'oomph'. After going over it with a fine tooth comb for a couple of hours, I noticed there was a-few-too-many volts difference across each of the PI load resistors. This is a cathodyne PI, so the voltages across the plate resistor and the cathode resistor should be pretty even. So then I tested the coupling caps to the 6V6s (the 0.1uF yellow styrene caps) and found a teeny bit of DC leakage on one of them. I replaced both of the PI coupling caps with orange drop spragues and the over-fuzzy problem was fixed. Not saying this is your problem, but you should check voltages everywhere, and not just assume all the bits are working properly.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

tubeswell wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:19 am EC Tremoluxes are a bit fizzy when dimed anyway, but...

I had an EC tremolux on the bench a couple of months ago with 'over fuzzy' distortion and a bit of loss of 'oomph'. After going over it with a fine tooth comb for a couple of hours, I noticed there was a-few-too-many volts difference across each of the PI load resistors. This is a cathodyne PI, so the voltages across the plate resistor and the cathode resistor should be pretty even. So then I tested the coupling caps to the 6V6s (the 0.1uF yellow styrene caps) and found a teeny bit of DC leakage on one of them. I replaced both of the PI coupling caps with orange drop spragues and the over-fuzzy problem was fixed. Not saying this is your problem, but you should check voltages everywhere, and not just assume all the bits are working properly.
Hi Tubeswell :wave:

Would the same.apply to a 6g9 tremolux with 6l6 's?

I've been .meaning to go through it all carefully and check a few things.

Its actually 90% there but that's the only lingering thing , just slightly fizzy when pushed in deep trem.

Cheers

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3489 times
Been liked: 714 times

Post by Cdog »

Didnt you just mod this with a diode or something?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

tubeswell wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:19 am EC Tremoluxes are a bit fizzy when dimed anyway, but...

This :thumbup:
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Cdog wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:19 am Didnt you just mod this with a diode or something?
Yep. I removed and tried without and the problem is the same with or without the diode.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I've always found tremolo's in Fender amps to be temperamental. Hum, buzz, ticking, bypass bleed, you name it.

Sorry I'm no help!

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

This is a bias-wiggle tremolo right? To me it sounds like the bias is set too cold on the output tubes, so when a strong tremolo LFO hits them, they’re getting pushed down into even lower bias, causing crossover distortion. This type of trem works great on cold-biased amps, but the effect can be TOO strong, which might be what you’re experiencing. If you’re comfortable with it, try running the bias a bit hotter and see if the fizz disappears.