Clean boost?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Re: Clean boost?

Post by crowbgood1 »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 am Boss GE-7.
It has a goodly volume boost on tap and you can tweak the eq any way you like.
I was shown a trick a few years back.

Use the EQ pedal with the level set quiet. Quieter parts like a little more bass and treble. Then when you need more volume turn the EQ pedal off. Works a treat in a live band environment.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I thought everyone's go-to was the Exotic EP Booster, but I don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet. This isn't from experience, more forum combined wisdom, although not recent.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

The SHO. No flavour or colouring but adds huge punch.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:12 am Hmm many great suggestions. If anyone has any of the suggested models up for grabs please DM me
I have a joyo zip amp for sale, $77.50 shipped overnight courier!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

My favourite boost is the old 80’s TC Electronic boost line driver distortion on boost mode, used by Steve Morse, David Gilmour and heaps of others. You can run it at 24volts if you want which improves the sound. It retains the natural sound of the amp has a massive amount of boost and works with all my different guitars better than all the others I’ve tried, but it is amp and setup dependant, I also like the noise suppression in it for the times you want to go totally over the top with gain, you get that sound like the amps about to blow up but it’s useable which is a lot of fun. Not that you probably need that with surf music.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I've been using a modded Boss CS3 for many years as a clean boost thickenupperer. I have the volume pretty high and the sustain pretty low and it's so good. I'm on to about my third or fourth one because I either break them or sell them to try something else more boutiquey and forum friendly, but I always go back to it.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

IMOCD wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 am I use a Philosophers Tone compressor sometimes as a boost. Compression set low and level high. Really thickens things up without compromising dynamics etc.
EQ pedals work great as boost also.
I did this with the Philosopher's Rock, too. Worked well for lower levels of boost.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

mr_sooty wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 am I've been using a modded Boss CS3 for many years as a clean boost thickenupperer. I have the volume pretty high and the sustain pretty low and it's so good. I'm on to about my third or fourth one because I either break them or sell them to try something else more boutiquey and forum friendly, but I always go back to it.
What's the mod?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:32 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:12 am Hmm many great suggestions. If anyone has any of the suggested models up for grabs please DM me
I have a joyo zip amp for sale, $77.50 shipped overnight courier!
any black string ferrules?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

hamo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:33 am
mr_sooty wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 am I've been using a modded Boss CS3 for many years as a clean boost thickenupperer. I have the volume pretty high and the sustain pretty low and it's so good. I'm on to about my third or fourth one because I either break them or sell them to try something else more boutiquey and forum friendly, but I always go back to it.
What's the mod?
It was from the 'Indyguitarist' mods that Brian Wampler used to publish before he did Wampler. It was the first mod I ever did myself and I have done many of them since. Once did one for the Phoenix Foundation guitarist. Don't know if he still uses it. But it changes about 7 capacitors and 2 resistors and makes the pedal less noisy, more rich and warm sounding and seems to make it louder too. And of course you have to change the LED so that it looks 'oooh wow modded'.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Hasn't been suggested, but I have a Caline Pure Sky I could sell. Very 'insert the T word' overdrive and does a stellar boost. I would still be using it if it hadn't been bumped off by my Timmy.

https://youtu.be/x972FeGvXew
Last edited by IMOCD on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Garghh spoilt for choice!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 am I've been using a catlinbread super chilli picosa for years.
I'm wondering about trying a different clean boost that doesn't have such a daunting 'treble' boost aspect to it.

Predominantly for surf sound. A little bit of grit is ok but generally want things to stay clean. As a boost for solos with my JM and as an always on for the jag to thicken up the sound a little.

There are a lot of options so would appreciate some advice. Also if anyone has something they are flicking then I'm in the market.

Cheers
I have an SHO clone that you could borrow if you wanted?
I'd love to borrow that for a burn

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

I see that one of our own is selling a Pure Sky OD on TM.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:27 am The SHO. No flavour or colouring but adds huge punch.
Really no flavour? I had a SHO clone once and it was like a treble boost! The high end sparkle was magic on cleantone, like when your home mixed track gets pro mastered :D