Anyone using electrical cord for speaker cable?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Anyone using electrical cord for speaker cable?

Post by sizzlingbadger »

blackstratblues wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:32 pm This is what I’ve been using for ages. Sounds great and lasts years

https://jansen.nz/product/proel-flexibl ... -4430.htmx
To be fair, the nice thing about this cable is its usually more flexible and fits the strain relief on the jack plugs better than standard twin electrical cable.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:10 pm
blackstratblues wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:32 pm This is what I’ve been using for ages. Sounds great and lasts years

To be fair, the nice thing about this cable is its usually more flexible and fits the strain relief on the jack plugs better than standard twin electrical cable.
Even better than dyson?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:59 pm I have used these too, but the screws can strip if you are not careful, I used to lock-tight them and put bonded heat shrink over the plug tail.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/6-5mm-mono-rig ... g/p/PP0158
This is what I have currently, and I did exactly the same thing with heat shrink over the tail. So far so good.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Bg wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Even better than dyson?
Probably not much in it, but it saves you the pain of having to recycle a vacuum cleaner.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:50 pm 1/4 of the price... https://www.jaycar.co.nz/7-5-amp-2-core ... e/p/WH3057
I’m a cheapskate too, but you only need a metre or so. It’s worked out to a dollar a year for how long it’s lasted.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah, for some reason I just have a shit load of old electric cord from old power tools that are scrapped etc, so I tend to use that. Though some lucky blighter I did a cab for lately got real deal stuff from Livesound. Doubt it sounded better but it wasn't expensive and I'd ordered so much other stuff I just banged it on the order.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I still have humongous big Freedom Cable amp to cab cable, Those jacks are huge.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have a Ryan made speaker to cab cable, never gonna sell that, absolutely bulletproof, wish he would come back :-(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I sent him a birthday dm on facebook but never heard anything back :(

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

vinylguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:48 pm csa = cross sectional area ? Mains cable varies hugely in cross sectional area, many IEC type cables are 0.9, the usual appliance cords are usually max 1,5, whereas 2.5 is the standard heaviest gauge used. As a generalisation in HiFi use: as HF travel along the outside of the conductor, multi stranded small diameter wires will give you more HF, whereas thicker wires will give you more LF. Copper being generally smoother sounding than silver which tends to be brighter. IMHO all this would pale into insignificance in a guitar amplifier as there are so many other factors (not to mention at least probably 2 tone control ccts), however I still think that if I were going to the trouble of building an amp or rewiring an existing one then I would source some nice speaker cable for the job.
Sounds like you know something. Any recommendations for guitar amp to speakers?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

As said Ive not played about with cabling in guitar amps as I simply cant be arsed. But if I were doing a build, rebuild or tweak then Id go for something from Monster, QED, straightwire, or audioquest. You should be able to find something cheap on TM in the audio section. How much do you need ?

Nice Byrds reference BTW.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

vinylguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:48 pm csa = cross sectional area ? Mains cable varies hugely in cross sectional area, many IEC type cables are 0.9, the usual appliance cords are usually max 1,5, whereas 2.5 is the standard heaviest gauge used. As a generalisation in HiFi use: as HF travel along the outside of the conductor, multi stranded small diameter wires will give you more HF, whereas thicker wires will give you more LF. Copper being generally smoother sounding than silver which tends to be brighter. IMHO all this would pale into insignificance in a guitar amplifier as there are so many other factors (not to mention at least probably 2 tone control ccts), however I still think that if I were going to the trouble of building an amp or rewiring an existing one then I would source some nice speaker cable for the job.
god forbid I start a debate... 8)
a waveform is a continuously changing thing...the various frequencies don't travel separately. Perhaps (and I mean really perhaps) a single sine wave might present on a cable in a way that varies on frequency and/or amplitude. I don't see a mechanism by which a cable can perform Fourier Transforms....
One can visualise a speaker cable (and voice coil) as a broom handle glued to the speaker cone. Pushing and pulling on the handle will move the cone in and out.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Cable capacitance has far more influence than skin effect, and a 1M guitar speaker cable can be made from almost any cable and you would not hear a difference. With the exception of a purple Dyson vacuum cleaner cable, they just have that magic mojo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

That purple dyson cable is truly like unicorn spunk. Sadly our latest dyson is cordless :( I tried to talk the missus into a corded one so I could greedily collect the cable the day after the warranty ran out and it stopped working.... but no, she went for practicality!

Yeah 14 minutes of use before flat battery then 1,564 hours of charging.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Lawrence wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:08 pm
god forbid I start a debate... 8)
a waveform is a continuously changing thing...the various frequencies don't travel separately. Perhaps (and I mean really perhaps) a single sine wave might present on a cable in a way that varies on frequency and/or amplitude. I don't see a mechanism by which a cable can perform Fourier Transforms....
One can visualise a speaker cable (and voice coil) as a broom handle glued to the speaker cone. Pushing and pulling on the handle will move the cone in and out.
I prefer digital cables. USB cables need to be gold too.