Anyone using electrical cord for speaker cable?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Anyone using electrical cord for speaker cable?

Post by Bg »

yeah the csa is to carry the current - as in don't use a guitar cable as its likely to cause a fire (at some point).

You're relying on cab makers to use magic unicorn cable internally too. They don't. They use cheap cable, cabs are built to a price point. Marshall 4x12's were built to be made from a single sheet of plywood, do you think they used the best cable available? No.... everyone cuts cost.

Good for you if you can hear the difference, I doubt most can.

But I'm famous for my tin ears, so I don't give a shite. If I'm losing highs, I turn up the treble. We aren't talking about hifi, but guitar/bass where the frequency range is much narrower and way more specific.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-7N-occ-Si ... 2473873917

I could make these out of old RGBHV cable. to dampen the highs a tad
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

I think Hifi tends to use longer runs of speaker cable too- for better stereo separation, component placement etc. Longer leads have higher resistance/impedance, which normally wouldn’t be an issue for guitar cabs.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by murky »

vinylguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm LOL this one has been done to death over the last 40 odd years in HiFi circles. Short answer is that yes speaker cables do make a difference. Havent tried changing cable on my guitar amps tbh as there are so many other variables but in a HiFi system the difference is considerable. I would see as much point using old power leads or 0.75 trurip as I would of buying a Ferrari and putting Chinese double coin tyres on it. Pointless especially when good second hand speaker cable is so reasonably priced.
More MadMax than Ferrari around here. Thank f#ck. :D

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

The sad truth is that all the players of the 60's and 70's that people now worship for their tone were in the habit of using coiled instrument cable for speaker as well as guitar connection and were far more knowledgeable and interested in a conversation around what gear you were smoking than what gear you were making a noise through.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

murky wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:47 am
vinylguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm LOL this one has been done to death over the last 40 odd years in HiFi circles. Short answer is that yes speaker cables do make a difference. Havent tried changing cable on my guitar amps tbh as there are so many other variables but in a HiFi system the difference is considerable. I would see as much point using old power leads or 0.75 trurip as I would of buying a Ferrari and putting Chinese double coin tyres on it. Pointless especially when good second hand speaker cable is so reasonably priced.
More MadMax than Ferrari around here. Thank f#ck. :D
Yeah, you seen the price of Falcon Coupes lately ?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 pm The sad truth is that all the players of the 60's and 70's that people now worship for their tone were in the habit of using coiled instrument cable for speaker as well as guitar connection and were far more knowledgeable and interested in a conversation around what gear you were smoking than what gear you were making a noise through.
Coily cables are great if you're wasted, harder to trip over! I think that's the most likely answer, no way a modern one would alter tone compared to a normal cable of its stretched out length....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:49 pm
Coily cables are great if you're wasted, harder to trip over! I think that's the most likely answer, no way a modern one would alter tone compared to a normal cable of its stretched out length....
They are though, screened and that we have been re educated to understand is a big no no in terms of a speaker cable.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

This is what I’ve been using for ages. Sounds great and lasts years

https://jansen.nz/product/proel-flexibl ... -4430.htmx

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:50 pm 1/4 of the price... https://www.jaycar.co.nz/7-5-amp-2-core ... e/p/WH3057
I assume just about any 1/4" jack will do?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

codedog wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:54 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:50 pm 1/4 of the price... https://www.jaycar.co.nz/7-5-amp-2-core ... e/p/WH3057
Yep, I prefer the all metal plugs though.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:33 pm
codedog wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:54 pm
Yep, I prefer the all metal plugs though.
The one on my speaker cable is all metal too, but feels like tin foil! It's huge and sticks out a long way. I bent one already. I have some right angle pancake ones around here, can't remember where I got them from. They're also all metal. Which ones do you normally get/use?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

codedog wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:38 pm
The one on my speaker cable is all metal too, but feels like tin foil! It's huge and sticks out a long way. I bent one already. I have some right angle pancake ones around here, can't remember where I got them from. They're also all metal. Which ones do you normally get/use?
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-plu ... ts/3951052
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-plu ... ts/0453757
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/6-5mm-mono-metal-plug/p/PP0154

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have used these too, but the screws can strip if you are not careful, I used to lock-tight them and put bonded heat shrink over the plug tail.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/6-5mm-mono-rig ... g/p/PP0158