Trainwrecks?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Trainwrecks?

Post by murky »

Wondering if there are any NZ amp builders that are reasonably experienced with Trainwreck circuits?

Had a Ceriatone Express ages ago, but it didn’t do anything my Jubilee couldn’t, so I assumed maybe it wasn’t quite as good as it could be. That said, this was before I realised what a goldmine the volume knob can be - so maybe it’s more on me.....

Been listening a heap to Matt O’Ree’s channel lately. Not sure I’ve really scratched the itch. Have been contemplating getting an authentic repro from one of the usual amp garage suspects (Mark Kane et al)....

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Re: Trainwrecks?

Post by Bg »

@mike... I'm sure he'll be up to the challenge!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Subscribed.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I had a DJW head that was modeled on one of the Trainwreck’s, just fantastic. Think I sold it to Falc on here but not sure if he still has it today

Matt O Ree’s ‘Brotherhood’ album is awesome, December Gray is just everything a song should be
Last edited by Mini Forklift on Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

I bought the DJW off you Jim. It actually was fantastic. The only piece of gear I want back. Didn’t sound like he was keen to make another.

Let’s go Mike :lol:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mosfet wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:34 pm I bought the DJW off you Jim. It actually was fantastic. The only piece of gear I want back. Didn’t sound like he was keen to make another.

Let’s go Mike :lol:
Yeah I would have been keen to get it back if you still had it, was a great amp

The original ones definitely have that almost Dumble-esque mystique surrounding them

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

But gentlemen, Trainwrecks are bespoke amps. Each one was built and voiced for a specific player/owner. How will decide which voice you want to copy?

Also subscribed.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Not only that he tuned each due to disparities in the tolerances of the electrical components he used :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Would a Katana cover all these bases or am I 6 months off the current dialogue?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 pm Would a Katana cover all these bases or am I 6 months off the current dialogue?
We don't seem to do international shipping of memos any more :(

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:50 pm Not only that he tuned each due to disparities in the tolerances of the electrical components he used :)
Exactly. Wot I said.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:50 pm Not only that he tuned each due to disparities in the tolerances of the electrical components he used :)
I always chuckle when I hear how he used "fast" and "slow" wire in different places in the amp. Ken and Alex made some good amps but the mythology that has risen up over the years is akin to the flat earth society :mental:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

Haha fast and slow wire...
Tuning an amp is a thing though, although usually not because of part tolerances. Usually it's because player X likes certain speakers and certain guitars/pickups. So the amp sometimes needs to be tuned to better match what it's interfacing with

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Optical wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:32 am Tuning an amp is a thing though
Yep, after all isn't that one of the main things that Alexander Dumble is known for?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

'Betty Lu'