F30 Started Smoking!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Akanatural
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

F30 Started Smoking!

Post by Akanatural »

Last night I was sitting in the lounge watching TV when I noticed a burning smell.

I followed it down the hallway to my studio where I had been playing through my Mesa Boogie F30 1x12 combo at low volume a few hours earlier.

The smoke was thick and it was coming from my F30.

I had left it on as I was meaning to go back and play some more before I got sidetracked by the TV and something went wrong with it in that time.

Anyway, I just took the rear metal mesh thing off and the tubes are in good shape... so I'm guessing it's something in the circuitry.

I know nothing about that stuff so I've just unplugged it and left it alone.

My dilemma is that I live in Gisborne, and we don't have any amp-tech types here.

There is however, a good electrical guy who serviced the amps and electronics of all of the guitars where I work.
He is really good!

I'm just wondering if I should bite the bullet and send the amp off to Wellington (It's heavy and expensive) or should I let the local electrical guy at it?... :D

Thoughts?

Oh and this is a new username/profile - I use to be DariusLovehall but I couldn't remember the password... hence using a new account... hope that's ok.

It's shit timing to lose my amp as I was just transitioning back to pedals after 4 years on the AX8... so I'm just putting together a new pedal-board and I have a bunch of shows coming up... time is of the essence.
Last edited by Akanatural on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 697 times

Re: F30 Started Smoking!

Post by AiRdAd »

if you've got a good guy locally, that'd be my first stop. :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

That sounds crazy :mental: hope you can get it sorted
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Shame, the F30 is a stellar little amp. Hope you get it fixed

Akanatural
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Akanatural »

AiRdAd wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:06 pm if you've got a good guy locally, that'd be my first stop. :-)
Yeah i think call my local guy - he may at least be able to assess it for me.

As a sidenote... I actually bought the amp about a year ago off Trademe, but I only started using it a couple of days ago.
I just haven't needed to use an amp - most of my gigs have backline and I generally use the AX8 anyway.
I'm just glad I smelled it burning and noticed the smoke... If i had been asleep it could have been a disaster.

Anyway yes it;s a great lil amp - I def hope it's salvageable :)

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Just FYI rockshop are the licensed mesa techs in NZ. They fixed my dual rec after local guys couldn't diagnose the issue. RS had it fixed in 3 days.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:11 pm Just FYI rockshop are the licensed mesa techs in NZ. They fixed my dual rec after local guys couldn't diagnose the issue. RS had it fixed in 3 days.
Pretty sure it'll still involve them shipping it to Auckland and back for the repair. And don't worry, they'll charge you for the privilege.

They did great work on my old 2061x, to be fair. Wasn't their fault that it blew power transformers like the Proteas blow a lead.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

A smoking amp is usually caused by either burning screen resistors or a burning power transformer. Screen resistors dont usually produce heaps of smoke (unless something nearby is getting burnt as well) but the smell will linger - overall it’s usually a symptom of shorted power tubes. A shorted power transformer can produce heaps of smoke before they totally die or blow a fuse.

Either way, it sounds like your local electrician should be able to find the issue. Otherwise, if youre comfortable with it, you could just pull out the chassis and send it off for repairs- that’d slash the cost of shipping.