Single Ended Class A Tube Amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Single Ended Class A Tube Amps

Post by SixGunLover »

Hey folks - long time no post. Hope you're all doing well in this brave new world.

I was hoping you could lend me your expertise in looking for some examples of currently produced or available single ended class A guitar amps around the 5W range. If they can play nicely with pedals that would be a bonus, and I would in an ideal world like an FX loop, too.

I've managed to find a few boo-teek things ranging from Savage Macht, stuff by Allen Amplification etc, but the most attractive option I've seen thus far is perhaps the Laney Lionheart series, which includes an FX loop and a price that I wouldn't have to explain to my wife. Please don't let that stop you from pointing out anything and everything, as even if I'm already aware of it, it may be helpful.

I have a BOSS Katana 50 Mk I that serves nicely as my current amp which I am very happy with, but I want to treat myself to this for use in my home studio or to take out to a gig if I am feeling bold (I play in a one man band setup live using pre recorded backing, I'll have full control over my sound).

Thanks in advance to any and all who respond.

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Single Ended Class A Tube Amps

Post by SixGunLover »

Also, is Ryan still around and doing amp builds on commission? I feel like Rip Van Winkle, waking from a 100 year slumber.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Hi. I think the Vox AC4 is single-ended, plus the Epiphone valve junior too. Any tube amp under 10W is likely to be single-ended.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

SixGunLover wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:51 am Also, is Ryan still around and doing amp builds on commission? I feel like Rip Van Winkle, waking from a 100 year slumber.
Nope, long gone, along with his sanity :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

SixGunLover wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:41 am Hey folks - long time no post. Hope you're all doing well in this brave new world.

I was hoping you could lend me your expertise in looking for some examples of currently produced or available single ended class A guitar amps around the 5W range. If they can play nicely with pedals that would be a bonus, and I would in an ideal world like an FX loop, too.

I've managed to find a few boo-teek things ranging from Savage Macht, stuff by Allen Amplification etc, but the most attractive option I've seen thus far is perhaps the Laney Lionheart series, which includes an FX loop and a price that I wouldn't have to explain to my wife. Please don't let that stop you from pointing out anything and everything, as even if I'm already aware of it, it may be helpful.

I have a BOSS Katana 50 Mk I that serves nicely as my current amp which I am very happy with, but I want to treat myself to this for use in my home studio or to take out to a gig if I am feeling bold (I play in a one man band setup live using pre recorded backing, I'll have full control over my sound).

Thanks in advance to any and all who respond.
As a Lionheart user, I am very biased.(L5T 112) See if you can track down the older UK version as these have the special edition Heritage G12, that were allegedly favoured by a couple of slingers by the name of Jimi back in the day. I scored mine for $600. Factor in spring reverb, twin channel, wide ranging eq controls, fx loop, top notch transformers and gorgeous blue tolex to boot, they represent really good value and can cover so much sonic ground. Be warned tho, they are frigging heavy!!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

VHT special 6 for $350, great little 5 watt amp with a Fender type circuit. I don’t know the seller but I owned one of these amps for a while and really liked it!
https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 715064.htm

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

Reg18 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:27 pm VHT special 6 for $350, great little 5 watt amp with a Fender type circuit. I don’t know the seller but I owned one of these amps for a while and really liked it!
https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 715064.htm

I'm selling the head version if that would be of interest.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

The Supro 1605r is booteek quality, and price unfortunately. But they soud great!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

yoggo
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by yoggo »

There’s a 5W Blackstar Mk2 head on trademe with both effects loop and (I think) foot switch jack if that’s your thing...

yoggo
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by yoggo »

^^ Not single-end though...

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

I went down this rabbit hole a while back. Don’t quote me on this but I had thought anything that runs a single tube is single ended? The epiphone valve junior and Thd univalve come to mind.

Being single ended does help with the volume a bit so I wouldn’t shy away from a higher wattage lionheart if it came up

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Jellybelly has a Univalve for sale. Built like a bombproof bunker, those things.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Might want to look at an amp that can run a 12AU7 and 12BH7. Ive built a few power amps based on that and they're pretty good. The 12AU7 does 1W, and the BH7 does 5W. Just drop in the tube you want, set the bias switch to match and go. These are both push-pull designs, not SE