which small amp to get?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

which small amp to get?

Post by Kloppsta »

hey team, long time no speak. hope everyone is happy and healthy and managing all this CV19 crap ok :)

The inevitable cycle of interest in gear and playing seems to be coming around again. Triggered by me sorting out my sleepout and making space for a proper home office space since I’m working almost solely from home these days.
I cracked open my pedalboard case and forgot I actually had some cool pedals that never get used. The only amp I currently own is my old and trusty Boss Cube 30 from about 15 years ago! Haha
On the rare occasions I do record or play electric I use Neural DSP plugins on my pc. But running my pedals into an audio interface and out of my studio monitors just doesn’t have the same vibe or feel.

So I’m thinking about picking up a small, cheap low wattage tube combo. The simpler the better. I’m thinking no more than 10w max. it’s a small space (10m2) and sound deadening is almost nil.
I just want something that I can plug into and noodle and create loops and mess with my pedals.

10” speaker probably? Something like a champ/tweed style circuit? Not expecting ample clean headroom, but would like it have some clean and get progressively dirtier and sweeter as I crank it up.

Don’t want to spend a lot. Open to kits and random brands etc. don’t want to have to mod anything to “get the best out of it”. Would prefer it’s just a cool sounding small amp ready to go.

Appreciate any suggestions/recommendations! Thanks all
Little by little, by hook or by crook

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Re: which small amp to get?

Post by robthemac »

I'm selling Marshall DSL-1R and VHT Special 6 heads of either of those would float your boat.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

What sort of tones are you after? the correct amp to get of course is a Katana 50W! However if you have to get tube the little AC4 with 10" speaker I had was killer, tone for days!!

Or if you want cheap tweed tone, then once these are back in stock: https://www.artistguitars.co.nz/buy/art ... -amp/15471
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I just picked up a Laney Cub12r combo and it sounds fantastic. Granted the speaker has been swapped out but I don't think the new one is even all that flash. Has a 15w and a <1w input so you can get it pretty quiet and still drive the gain up. Takes pedals like a champ.
Loving it so far

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 am What sort of tones are you after? the correct amp to get of course is a Katana 50W! However if you have to get tube the little AC4 with 10" speaker I had was killer, tone for days!!

Or if you want cheap tweed tone, then once these are back in stock: https://www.artistguitars.co.nz/buy/art ... -amp/15471
As the current owner of said AC4, can confirm it sounds great.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3487 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

StratMatt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:05 pm I just picked up a Laney Cub12r combo and it sounds fantastic. Granted the speaker has been swapped out but I don't think the new one is even all that flash. Has a 15w and a <1w input so you can get it pretty quiet and still drive the gain up. Takes pedals like a champ.
Those are great little amps, not terribly popular for some reason. The new Cub-Super sound great too!

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

robthemac wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:23 am I'm selling Marshall DSL-1R and VHT Special 6 heads of either of those would float your boat.
thanks for the offer Rob but i think ill be picking up a combo of some sort

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 am What sort of tones are you after? the correct amp to get of course is a Katana 50W! However if you have to get tube the little AC4 with 10" speaker I had was killer, tone for days!!

haha, ive had 2x Katana 100 heads and a Katana 100 combo in the past. they are cool for sure, but overkill for my needs and i feel like having tubes back in my life :) shot for the suggestion of the Artist Tweed Tone......i had never heard of those! they look perfect! hope it sounds deace!

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

StratMatt wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:05 pm I just picked up a Laney Cub12r combo and it sounds fantastic. Granted the speaker has been swapped out but I don't think the new one is even all that flash. Has a 15w and a <1w input so you can get it pretty quiet and still drive the gain up. Takes pedals like a champ.
thanks matt! ive read some mixed reviews of the cub12 but the majority are positive! its one ill check out i think. might even be a bit overkill for my needs though.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

on the surface the laney cub 12r and super cub 12 seem very similar? what am i missing?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

Just off a quick search it looks as though the super cub has a footswitch-able boost, and I assume a better speaker.
Loving it so far

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3487 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Where did you get yours from, Matt?

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

Vox Ac4 C1 10" is great! 499 from Music Machine

Saw a 12" go for 250 on TM a couple days ago too arghh

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

codedog wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 pm
Where did you get yours from, Matt?
I bought mine off trade me about a month ago, think it's the only thing I've plugged into since.
Loving it so far