PG Spark users thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: PG Spark users thread

Post by captainfruitbat »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:28 pm I can't say I ever found it too bassy, was sitting around shoulder height whenever I played with it too :)
It's not massively bassy on the guitar sounds but I'm definitely finding my self setting bass controls low on the amps. It is more noticeable when playing bass through it, or when playing external tracks via bluetooth. I have applied some foam to the port (quickest easiest mod ever), it seems to help a little - we'll see how it goes.
20220327_173819.jpg
20220327_173819.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 3062 times

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I found it terribly bassy, but my high end hearing has gone, so that emphasized it. Never satisfied with the tone, just couldn't rid it of that bassy boomy tone. If you have fucked ears like mine, good luck.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

Bg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:30 pm I found it terribly bassy, but my high end hearing has gone, so that emphasized it. Never satisfied with the tone, just couldn't rid it of that bassy boomy tone. If you have fucked ears like mine, good luck.
I know how that feels - high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus here. Although the latter has improved since I retired from my day job in IT - Doc says the tinnitus is mostly down to the HF loss but is also stress-related.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

captainfruitbat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:59 pm
Bg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:30 pm I found it terribly bassy, but my high end hearing has gone, so that emphasized it. Never satisfied with the tone, just couldn't rid it of that bassy boomy tone. If you have fucked ears like mine, good luck.
I know how that feels - high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus here. Although the latter has improved since I retired from my day job in IT - Doc says the tinnitus is mostly down to the HF loss but is also stress-related.
Hoping you can get a fix! I found headphone output dissapointing for the same reasons.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

Hoping you can get a fix! I found headphone output dissapointing for the same reasons.
[/quote]

Just tried the headphone output, and it's OK for me - but I'm using open back Samson SR850s, which are a lot less bassy than most. Great budget option for mixing/mastering - which is why I bought them.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

captainfruitbat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:34 pm Hoping you can get a fix! I found headphone output dissapointing for the same reasons.
Just tried the headphone output, and it's OK for me - but I'm using open back Samson SR850s, which are a lot less bassy than most. Great budget option for mixing/mastering - which is why I bought them.
[/quote]

Thinking about it, was probably as I was using DT770 Pro, 250 ohms. They need a good loud input to make them work loudly enough for me.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

captainfruitbat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:00 pm Had my Spark and Airstep for a few days now (thanks jeremyb!). I had one pre-ordered when they first came out, but was one of the many people who gave up on it and dropped out because of all the delays - I ended up with an Amplifi instead, but that didn't last long. I bought the Spark to give me something to sit on my desk at home to plug into and practise/noodle with. I'm enjoying it for that. It's a bit bassy but otherwise sounds pretty good. Took it to a band rehearsal yesterday to see if it would hold up and was surprised at how well it did. We don't rehearse at massive volumes (drummer has electronic kit), but the Spark was keeping up just fine with volume less than halfway up.

I'm an incorrigible tinkerer, so I'm already think about modding the Spark. The main shortcomings that should be solvable are:

1. Tame the bass response
2. Add a pair of external speaker jacks
4. Add battery power
3. Add an FX loop so I can use my looper post FX

Have any of you tried any or all of the above? Any help/suggestions/advice?
There's a Facebook group that is dedicated to Spark mods. There'll be something in there for all that you've listed, if you wanna go down that road.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

griff wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:35 am
captainfruitbat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:00 pm Had my Spark and Airstep for a few days now (thanks jeremyb!). I had one pre-ordered when they first came out, but was one of the many people who gave up on it and dropped out because of all the delays - I ended up with an Amplifi instead, but that didn't last long. I bought the Spark to give me something to sit on my desk at home to plug into and practise/noodle with. I'm enjoying it for that. It's a bit bassy but otherwise sounds pretty good. Took it to a band rehearsal yesterday to see if it would hold up and was surprised at how well it did. We don't rehearse at massive volumes (drummer has electronic kit), but the Spark was keeping up just fine with volume less than halfway up.

I'm an incorrigible tinkerer, so I'm already think about modding the Spark. The main shortcomings that should be solvable are:

1. Tame the bass response
2. Add a pair of external speaker jacks
4. Add battery power
3. Add an FX loop so I can use my looper post FX

Have any of you tried any or all of the above? Any help/suggestions/advice?
There's a Facebook group that is dedicated to Spark mods. There'll be something in there for all that you've listed, if you wanna go down that road.
Thanks for that - will check it out.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Can you just create an EQ "patch" for it on the computer ? I can't remember exactly what is available on these things.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:13 am Can you just create an EQ "patch" for it on the computer ? I can't remember exactly what is available on these things.
There is an eq pedal in the modulation section of the amp, but there are two problems with that:

1. You can only use one modulation at a time, so if you use the eq, you can't use chorus, flanger, phaser or tremolo
2. I am already using the eq pedal, switched on and off via the airstep, as a post-amp-model gain boost for soloing.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Shame you can't get some 4" Greenbacks :lol:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 am Shame you can't get some 4" Greenbacks :lol:
Now there's a thought.... :D

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 am Shame you can't get some 4" Greenbacks :lol:
A craft knife and a positive attitude goes a long way.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

captainfruitbat
Ashton
Ashton

robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:42 am
Could I just take the existing speakers out and paint the backs green? I would use proper tonepaint of course....

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

captainfruitbat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:52 am
robthemac wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:42 am
Could I just take the existing speakers out and paint the backs green? I would use proper tonepaint of course....
Nitro?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.