PG Spark users thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: PG Spark users thread

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Last chance ends on the 23rd of this month.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its going to take me a while to setup some tones but this thing is really cool.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

Mine arrived yesterday. Work allowing I will get to unpack it Saturday afternoon.
Must say DHL rock. This is the second thing I have received via them in the last two weeks.
The first was from Aussie and it was here after two days In transit.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I call DIBS on the first one up for sale :)

Katana killah ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Bg wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm I call DIBS on the first one up for sale :)

Katana killah ;)
So you’re buying Molly’s?

Just buy it, by the time we’re selling (which we won’t) the secondhand price based on the 66% of retail rule will be roughly the price of the current last chance price!

(I think I know what I meant by that statement...?)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

HackSaw wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 pm

I think you're confusing me with someone else. Correct me if I'm wrong but I really don't think I could be described as a guy who sells his gear. I've still got just about everything I've ever bought. Pretty much. Might be Oldie you're thinking of. Has he bought a Spark then too?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Katana killah ;)

Just buy it, by the time we’re selling (which we won’t) the secondhand price based on the 66% of retail rule will be roughly the price of the current last chance price!

yeah yeah yeah, I'll hang about. It always happens between 10-12 weeks after a new cult has formed, I'll get one for less than a hand shandy when the next big thing comes along ;)

I'l just wait for JB to start enthusing about something, and watch as everyone sheeples along.... bingo. Cheap Spark.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Bg wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 pm

Katana killah ;)

yeah yeah yeah, I'll hang about. It always happens between 10-12 weeks after a new cult has formed, I'll get one for less than a hand shandy when the next big thing comes along ;)

I'l just wait for JB to start enthusing about something, and watch as everyone sheeples along.... bingo. Cheap Spark.
You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. Wait, we're still talking about katanas right?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 pm I'll just wait for JB to start enthusing about something, and watch as everyone sheeples along.... bingo. Cheap Spark.
I appreciate the sentiment Beeg, but I'm confident that history has shown that anything I tend to froth about gets zero interest from everyone else because my opinion isn't really worth much. I'm not a very good guitar player and I tend to jump on whatever the latest bandwagon is and then go in completely the opposite direction shortly afterwards :lol: salt of the earth tho' and I do a lot for charity!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Molly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:21 pm

I think you're confusing me with someone else. Correct me if I'm wrong but I really don't think I could be described as a guy who sells his gear. I've still got just about everything I've ever bought. Pretty much. Might be Oldie you're thinking of. Has he bought a Spark then too?
No spark for me I'm afraid
Ive had them all and I get disappointed at not being able to be deafend even tho they are for practice
I much prefer to drag my 4x12 into the lounge and play that

And katanas are soooooooo last year :wave:
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I had some time with my Spark last night, but I was a bit tired and found using the small screen on my iPhone a pain. A larger tablet would be much better. Initial impressions are good, its a pretty solidly built piece of kit.

It sounds good as a BT speaker playing music, it is stereo and the effect is pretty good considering the two speakers are in the same cab.

The built-in presets are a bit muddy/mushy but you can change them easily. As with all these digital products its very easy to switch too much on and end up with a mess of a sound. Using the App it is very easy to get some nice tones, cleans are really nice, crunch is good and high gain isn't my thing so its hard to comment.

PG really missed a trick though when they didn't provide a "Panel" preset button like the Katana. If you want to use the panel then you have to select a pre-set and then move every knob to "activate" it first. If you change the "amp type" knob then the gain and EQ get set to noon, so you have to again move all those knobs so that their setting matches the pointer. If you just use the 4 presets and then tweak then bit its all good.

When the unit is set on my desk (which is a likely place to use it) I can't see the knobs because they are recessed into the top panel, I would much prefer they were on the front. I had this issue with the Katana (sitting of front of it) which is why I bought the Artist model instead.

Its a completely different "tool" to the Katana. The Kat is a proper amp that you can gig with. The Spark is a practice tool, both are great at what they were designed for.

To make proper use of the Spark as a practice tool I'll need to invest in a tablet so I can see the Smart Jam screens. Its a shame they don't have a desktop app too as it would sit perfectly next to my iMac. TBH I could use an Android tablet in the workshop for the ODBC tools I need for my bike and car etc.

So at present I'm 50/50 on whether to keep it or just go back to my cave-man Katana and Boss RC10R looper setup for practice.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:09 am

PG really missed a trick though when they didn't provide a "Panel" preset button like the Katana. If you want to use the panel then you have to select a pre-set and then move every knob to "activate" it first. If you change the "amp type" knob then the gain and EQ get set to noon, so you have to again move all those knobs so that their setting matches the pointer. If you just use the 4 presets and then tweak then bit its all good.
Is this something that they could fix via an app update?

I'm hoping I can use it to learn something new. I'm so lazy when it comes to learning stuff. I just fall back into noodling. And when I do learn something a week later it's all fallen out of my head.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Molly wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:13 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:09 am

Is this something that they could fix via an app update?

I'm hoping I can use it to learn something new. I'm so lazy when it comes to learning stuff. I just fall back into noodling. And when I do learn something a week later it's all fallen out of my head.
Possibly, they couldn't add a dedicated button of course but some combination of button presses could activate it.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

One has just popped up on one of the NZ FB groups. $55 more than I paid for mine new. Didn't realise I was buying an investment product!

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

HackSaw wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm One has just popped up on one of the NZ FB groups. $55 more than I paid for mine new. Didn't realise I was buying an investment product!
Haha yeah just saw that. Dreamin.