Help! - Is this cab 'buzz' normal?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Help! - Is this cab 'buzz' normal?

Post by Shimmer »

So I bought a Laney CubCab to go with my Vox MV50 Clean (to replace the small Vox BC108 that i got with it). But the Laney buzzes terribly. Initially I thought I heard it in the Vox cab too, and maybe it was the amp. But doing a side by side I don't think it is .
If anyone had a few seconds to listen and advise, that'd be great! So before i take it back and risk making a fool of myself - does that Laney sound normal? (Vox cab first, then Laney - just lightly picking out a clean dropped D, A & D string.)
I want all the pedals!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Re: Help! - Is this cab 'buzz' normal?

Post by Dharmajester »

Well the Vox sounds ok but the Laney?????
Hard to say what's amiss. Is it a single speaker cab ? Mounting screws all secure ( but not too tight )?
What type of speaker ? It certainly doesn't sound right but never feel bad taking stuff back to a store if it's misbehaving
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Shimmer »

Dharmajester wrote:Well the Vox sounds ok but the Laney?????
Hard to say what's amiss. Is it a single speaker cab ? Mounting screws all secure ( but not too tight )?
What type of speaker ? It certainly doesn't sound right but never feel bad taking stuff back to a store if it's misbehaving
The Laney is a 2 x 12 - has two Laney HH drivers in it (they came stock - only picked it up on Saturday).
Everything seems secure - but I'm not sure if screws are 'too tight'.
Thanks for your advice - I'll definitely be taking it back for them to have a listen.
Cheers!
I want all the pedals!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

A theory.... the Laney is 2x12 so it's moving more air. Perhaps something in the room is vibrating with the Laney, prove it by shifting it to a different room. P.S. The Vox sounds great!

Also, is amp on top of cab?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Shimmer »

MikeC wrote:A theory.... the Laney is 2x12 so it's moving more air. Perhaps something in the room is vibrating with the Laney, prove it by shifting it to a different room. P.S. The Vox sounds great!

Thanks Mike - I had read about something else in the room buzzing but it definitely isn't that. Volume was really low and it did the same buzz in other rooms. The amp was sitting on a desk next to cab - and is one of the little class D Vox ones, so it isn't tube's rattling either.
(The little Vox cab is a wee beaut - probably should've sprung for the bigger single 12inch cab instead of the Laney... :( )
I want all the pedals!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Shimmer wrote:
MikeC wrote:A theory.... the Laney is 2x12 so it's moving more air. Perhaps something in the room is vibrating with the Laney, prove it by shifting it to a different room. P.S. The Vox sounds great!

Thanks Mike - I had read about something else in the room buzzing but it definitely isn't that. Volume was really low and it did the same buzz in other rooms. The amp was sitting on a desk next to cab - and is one of the little class D Vox ones, so it isn't tube's rattling either.
(The little Vox cab is a wee beaut - probably should've sprung for the bigger single 12inch cab instead of the Laney... :( )
OK, I'm shot down but that's good. It must be a bad cab then.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Shimmer wrote:

Maybe you can do an exchange towards the Vox cab?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Shimmer »

hamo wrote:
Shimmer wrote:

Maybe you can do an exchange towards the Vox cab?
I would - but the Vox cab is a different store unfortunately... (although maybe they can order it?)
Anyway - the original store is more than happy to have a look at it.
Thanks all for the advice!
I want all the pedals!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sounds like a dodgy speaker maybe?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Try running through each of the two speakers separately to establish if maybe only one of them is playing up, unless of course solder is involved, don't want to void your warranty.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Shimmer »

Dharmajester wrote:Try running through each of the two speakers separately to establish if maybe only one of them is playing up, unless of course solder is involved, don't want to void your warranty.
I did consider that - but yeah - the connectors are soldered on...
I want all the pedals!