Marshall Origin amps - thoughts?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Marshall Origin amps - thoughts?

Post by robthemac »

Seeing as there haven't been any Iridium pedals for sale in NZ for ages, I'm tempted to keep going down the low-powered tube amp line further.

These look like a great option for a low cost. Hoping to try one out this weekend. Anyone had any experience with them? I know the Class 5 / DSL5 etc were not very well regarded. Initial opinions online of the Origin series seem very positive.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Marshall Origin amps - thoughts?

Post by AiRdAd »

hasn't Ed got one? He might be able to help. there's one on trademe at the moment :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Ed has the SV20H the new Studio Vintage amp :)

Isn't volume your problem tho' Rob? you're simply not going to get a tube amp that will sound good at the really low volumes you seem to be after, if you're considering something solid state like an Iridium then maybe a Katana would be a good option for you?
Last edited by jeremyb on Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

AiRdAd wrote:hasn't Ed got one? He might be able to help. there's one on trademe at the moment :-)
I have an SV20, the 20W Plexi.

Origin is kind of a more budget friendly and modern take on the whole Plexi thing.

I spent a bit of time with an Origin when they first came out. I think they're pretty great for the price. They definitely get that old school Marshall vibe, but a bit more controllable with the tilt control (basically tries to mimic jumped Plexi controls) and gain boost and so on.

They still need to be cranked to get the best out of them but nowhere near as much as a true old school NMV amp.

Compared to the SV20 though, the Origin definitely has less complexity to the sound. It's not quite the full fat Marshall sound, maybe it's like 30% green milk :lol:

But again, if you're looking for fairly decent classic Marshall sounds at a pretty affordable price, Origin will fit the bill.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote:Ed has the SV20H the new Studio Vintage amp :)

Isn't volume your problem tho' Rob? you're simply not going to get a tube amp that will sound good at the really low volumes you seem to be after, if you're considering something solid state like an Iridium then maybe a Katana would be a good option for you?
Yeah, volume is the main issue. The Origin has some proprietary form for power-scaling / attenuation built in, which is what attracts me to it. The 20W combo/head can be stepped down to 3W or less than 1W. I know it won't be the same tone as pushing the full 20W, but it might get me some of the way.

But yeah I need to spend some quality time with the Katana. Would like to do the same with an Iridium, but they're hens' teeth at the moment.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

I had one and thought it was pretty good. Didn't like the cheap-looking vinyl, mind.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

If its for home, just get a Katana - It took me a long time and a lot of $$ to realise its the best solution for home practice. I hate to say it because I have had a long standing affection for valves throughout my life, but it's time to face the facts of practicality.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:... it's time to face the facts of practicality.
You wash your mouth out!

;-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote:If its for home, just get a Katana - It took me a long time and a lot of $$ to realise its the best solution for home practice. I hate to say it because I have had a long standing affection for valves throughout my life, but it's time to face the facts of practicality.
Get a little Vox AC4 or somesuch like I did as a second amp for when those needs arise, or the rare occasion the family is out of the house :mrgreen: That said, the katana head and 2x12 on 0.5w mode can still be blindingly loud....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I accidentally flicked the Katana from 0.5 to 50W instead of switching the Contour control, I was mid chord, nearly shit myself.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I accidentally flicked the Katana from 0.5 to 50W instead of switching the Contour control, I was mid chord, nearly shit myself.
Mines only been off 0.5w for a few seconds at most, my guitar cable just isn't long enough :mental:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:I had one and thought it was pretty good. Didn't like the cheap-looking vinyl, mind.
Can't remember whether I bought Molly's or he bought mine, but yeah I had the 50w head. Thought they were great bang for buck and sounded pretty good :thumbup:

Obviously PCB and made in Israel (or somewhere of equivalent oddness), but definitely decent. I found the power stages quite practical and useful, they also gave you a few tonal options depending on how you decide to run the master volume

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I accidentally flicked the Katana from 0.5 to 50W instead of switching the Contour control, I was mid chord, nearly shit myself.
That bad, eh?

;-)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Thanks all. Will probably put the Katana up against the Origin at flatmate-friendly volumes.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: Can't remember whether I bought Molly's or he bought mine ...
Neither can I which is a sad indictment of both of us... ;-)