EAT SHIT YOU TUBE AMP LOVING WANKERS!!!!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: EAT SHIT YOU TUBE AMP LOVING WANKERS!!!!

Post by Molly »

handsoffmatt wrote:In other news, I'm actually currently considering a move back to the SLO for gigging...
The SLO with at least one but preferably two 4x12s just because you can. If this Covid-19 thing has taught us anything it's that life's too short for anything but big iron. Well, that's my take-away from it anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

handsoffmatt wrote:The fact that Katana feels extremely tubey is one of the biggest reasons I've chosen to gig it over the last few years. Regardless of whether I work for Roland/BOSS or not.....tone/feel is everything to me, and if Katana wasn't straight up awesome, I wouldn't be playing it.

Fractal gear feels great too....though in my experience, no better than my Katana head, for Marshall-y stuff.
Would you mind sharing your settings Matt?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

jeremyb wrote:
handsoffmatt wrote:The fact that Katana feels extremely tubey is one of the biggest reasons I've chosen to gig it over the last few years. Regardless of whether I work for Roland/BOSS or not.....tone/feel is everything to me, and if Katana wasn't straight up awesome, I wouldn't be playing it.

Fractal gear feels great too....though in my experience, no better than my Katana head, for Marshall-y stuff.
I don't have them backed up on Tone Studio so can't easily look at them. Will dump them into Tone Studio and send to you when I have a bit of time i the next day or two.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

handsoffmatt wrote:
jeremyb wrote:

I don't have them backed up on Tone Studio so can't easily look at them. Will dump them into Tone Studio and send to you when I have a bit of time i the next day or two.
Ooh me too please.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I understand completely the joy of a light piece of kit which covers a whole gamut of sounds for the non roadie gigging crew. Quite enjoyed the Katana mini I had as a Tv accompaniment but after a year it started to grate on me and was replaced by an AC15HW1 which while a one trick pony by comparison provides a vastly more satisfying playing experience.
What really baffles me with the Kemper as a tool is why on earth anyone who isn't a studio hired gun needs to have access to so many differing amp sounds. Maybe I'm just old and addled but I always find too many choices lead to endless twiddling / procrastinating and less actual playing.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Dharmajester wrote:I understand completely the joy of a light piece of kit which covers a whole gamut of sounds for the non roadie gigging crew. Quite enjoyed the Katana mini I had as a Tv accompaniment but after a year it started to grate on me and was replaced by an AC15HW1 which while a one trick pony by comparison provides a vastly more satisfying playing experience.
What really baffles me with the Kemper as a tool is why on earth anyone who isn't a studio hired gun needs to have access to so many differing amp sounds. Maybe I'm just old and addled but I always find too many choices lead to endless twiddling / procrastinating and less actual playing.
The main thing with me is space to put everything. Plus it's much cheaper. I just sold my JTM-45/100 for a huge amount and replaced it with $7 profile that is probably 95% of the sound and 100% of the feel of the Marshall.

I agree about having all the different choices. I'll probably stick to profiles of the JTM45/100, A hotrodded Marshall JCM800 or (Friedman BE100,) something vox-ish, a tweed deluxe, and maybe some sort of Fender edge of breakup thingie that everyone talks about. Once I've got those nailed, I might look for other amp profiles, but they'll all be based around those ones.

I'm so stoked I've got something that is really close to my JTM-45/100 as that's the one I lay the most :-)

I don't find myself fiddling with the kemper. It's kind of the oposite. I sit down to learn something on it (like adding effects etc) and always just end up playing on it.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

AiRdAd wrote: I just sold my JTM-45/100 for a huge amount and replaced it with $7 profile that is probably 95% of the sound and 100% of the feel of the Marshall.

I'm so stoked I've got something that is really close to my JTM-45/100 as that's the one I lay the most :-)
Evidently you wont miss the trouser flapping ( less so in these non flared jeans times ) stomach punching aspect of the full stack. I do; as the somewhat prohibitive volume required to generate the effect is, in a confined space, less than pleasant on the eardrums. There's just something supremely gratifying in feeling all that air moving at your back, and the guitar in your hands resonating in sympathy. Progress be damned....

Great that you are able to duplicate the 45/100, must have been a major wrench to part with it. :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

I've still got a quad with either two Creambacks or two FRFR sepakers in it, and a 50watt tube power amp - so I can definitely still get trouser flapping volume levels :-) but being in a residential area in close proximity to my neighbours, I don't play at those levels. I also get ringing ears if the volume levels are too high. So another reason for me to avoid higher volumes :-)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Yeah My first amp was an epiphone valve junior. I went into the rockshop to replace it with a Marshall Class 5, and a week later flagged that and got the hendrix full stack :-) I never ever entertained selling it, as everything else just failed in comparison... until I got the kemper. Sure it isn't exactly the same - but it captures the 'spirit' of it really well. I'd rather play the Kemper that camptures the spirit of that amp, than play another amp that is good at what it does, but doesn't provide the same experience at the Hendrix stack or the Kemper - if that makes sense :-)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Why would anyone not have at least one amp of each persuasion? Both have their places.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:Why would anyone not have at least one amp of each persuasion? Both have their places.
Now theres the voice of reason, for a change.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I do enjoy the flexibility of the Katana, twist a knob and you go from clean to hotrodded marshall with every variant in between!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

43m30s for the using a compressor to make it feel like a toob amp:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:I do enjoy the flexibility of the Katana, twist a knob and you go from clean to hotrodded marshall with every variant in between!
*cough* :mental:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.